Jun 2, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Prior to last season’s meeting between DePaul and Northwestern, the last time the two programs met on the basketball court came in 2008. Overall the programs have met 30 times, and according to an announcement from both schools the Blue Demons and Wildcats have agreed to a five-year series beginning with the 2015-16 season.
DePaul, which won last year’s game 57-56 on a Billy Garrett Jr. shot as time expired, will host three of the games with Northwestern hosting the other two at Welsh-Ryan Arena.
“As a Chicago native, I think it’s terrific for basketball in the area to have Northwestern and DePaul play one another,” Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said in the release. “There have been some great games between the teams over the years and we look forward to that continuing.”
Also of note is that the two programs attempted to set up a game for the 2014-15 season but were unable to come together on a date, resulting in the series taking a “break” until the 2015-16 season. No date for that game was announced in the release.
Here are the highlights from last season’s meeting, culminating with Garrett Jr.’s game-winner.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)