Jun 2, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Prior to last season’s meeting between DePaul and Northwestern, the last time the two programs met on the basketball court came in 2008. Overall the programs have met 30 times, and according to an announcement from both schools the Blue Demons and Wildcats have agreed to a five-year series beginning with the 2015-16 season.
DePaul, which won last year’s game 57-56 on a Billy Garrett Jr. shot as time expired, will host three of the games with Northwestern hosting the other two at Welsh-Ryan Arena.
“As a Chicago native, I think it’s terrific for basketball in the area to have Northwestern and DePaul play one another,” Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said in the release. “There have been some great games between the teams over the years and we look forward to that continuing.”
Also of note is that the two programs attempted to set up a game for the 2014-15 season but were unable to come together on a date, resulting in the series taking a “break” until the 2015-16 season. No date for that game was announced in the release.
Here are the highlights from last season’s meeting, culminating with Garrett Jr.’s game-winner.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)