Jun 2, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Prior to last season’s meeting between DePaul and Northwestern, the last time the two programs met on the basketball court came in 2008. Overall the programs have met 30 times, and according to an announcement from both schools the Blue Demons and Wildcats have agreed to a five-year series beginning with the 2015-16 season.
DePaul, which won last year’s game 57-56 on a Billy Garrett Jr. shot as time expired, will host three of the games with Northwestern hosting the other two at Welsh-Ryan Arena.
“As a Chicago native, I think it’s terrific for basketball in the area to have Northwestern and DePaul play one another,” Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said in the release. “There have been some great games between the teams over the years and we look forward to that continuing.”
Also of note is that the two programs attempted to set up a game for the 2014-15 season but were unable to come together on a date, resulting in the series taking a “break” until the 2015-16 season. No date for that game was announced in the release.
Here are the highlights from last season’s meeting, culminating with Garrett Jr.’s game-winner.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)