Jun 2, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Throughout the current era of college basketball when a player should be allowed to turn pro has been a discussion that remains at the forefront when considering the health of the sport. While some have argued that the “one and done” concept has tarnished college basketball, there are others who consider the alternative had the NBA and its players association not agreed to institute an age limit and require a player to be one year removed from high school before entering the NBA Draft.
One of NBA commissioner Adam Silver’s stated priorities is to raise that limit to 20 years of age and two years removed from high school, a move that some within college basketball have supported. One of those in favor of a new “two-year rule” is Kansas head coach Bill Self, who earlier this spring lost freshmen (and expected high lottery picks) Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins to the NBA Draft.
However in a story written by Gary Bedore of the Lawrence Journal-World, it’s also noted that during a radio interview Self voiced his opinion that there should be an advisory committee for those considering entering out of high school. If the player were to make the decision to attend college after receiving said feedback, then they would be there for two years minimum.
“I have a hard time saying if you have LeBron out there the kid couldn’t leave out of high school. I think it would be sad to have LeBron have to stay two years in college,” Self said on Philly radio. “There’s probably no way to do this, but I wish there could be a committee in place to evaluate high school kids. Of course there would be maybe one or two a year qualified to make the jump. After that, the kids need to stay in two years.
“I think that (committee decision) would be best for everybody,” he added. “It gives kids an opportunity to leave who can leave. It would eliminate bad decisions. On the flip side, kids would have the opportunity to stay in college two years and not make a mockery possibly out of the academic system, so I think it would make the best of all worlds. I think there’s a good chance it will go to two years.”
The earliest the NBA can make a move per its collective bargaining agreement is after the 2016-17 season, when the owners would be allowed to opt out of the current agreement and renegotiate. So the current model will likely be in place for the next couple of years.
And while college basketball can’t really be “decision-makers” in this process (unless they were to do something like bringing back freshman ineligibility), coaches can make their voices heard. That’s especially true of coaches such as Self, who have made a habit of sending players to the next level over the years.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)