Jun 2, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
As the leading returning scorer in the nation after averaging 25.6 points per game in 2013-14, shooting guard Antoine Mason became a popular player once it was announced that he was leaving Niagara. With the ability to score combined with the fact that as a graduate transfer he can play immediately, Mason is clearly a player capable of helping a program immediately.
According to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports the son of former New York Knick Anthony Mason has dates set for official visits to Auburn and Providence, and Mason is expected to visit Boston College as well.
Each of those schools is in a position where they can use the immediate scoring boost that Mason would provide. Auburn is entering the first season of the Bruce Pearl era, and one key for the program is accounting for the graduation of leading scorer Chris Denson (19.1 ppg). Denson and KT Harrell (18.3 ppg) were Auburn’s only double-digit scorers last season, with rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen scoring 9.5 points per game.
Providence lost one of the nation’s best scorers in Bryce Cotton to graduation, and the additional loss of Josh Fortune (transfer) puts the Friars in a position where landing Mason would be of high importance if they’re to make a second straight trip to the NCAA tournament. In total the Friars will have to account for the loss of three starters, with forward Kadeem Batts (12.3 ppg, 7.4 rpg) being the other departure.
And Boston College received some good news earlier this spring when guard Olivier Hanlan decided to return for his junior season, giving new head coach Jim Christian a valuable piece to build with. But the Eagles lost guard Joe Rahon and forward Ryan Anderson as both decided to transfer, and those decisions left guard Lonnie Jackson (7.0 ppg) as the team’s second-best returning scorer.
Given what each of these teams has lost since the end of the 2013-14 season, Mason’s recruitment will be something to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)