Jun 3, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
Former Xavier forward Justin Martin announced through his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night that he had committed to SMU. He has immediate eligibility.
Martin decided to transfer in April and had visited West Virginia and Florida State in addition to SMU.
The 6-foot-6 Martin was second on Xavier in scoring and rebounding last season at 11.7 points and 5.2 boards per game. He will look to continue that production in the Mustangs frontline, which returns American Athletic Conference second team selection Markus Kennedy. SMU should also feature one of the nation’s top back courts with leading scorer Nic Moore and five-star incoming freshman Emmanuel Mudiay.
Martin, who played in two NCAA tournaments in his three years with the Musketeers, will provide added experience and depth to a program that is looking to return to the tournament for the first time since 1993. Despite spending time in the top-25 this past season, that drought continued for the Mustangs, who were left out of the field of 68 due to a weak non-conference schedule. That shouldn’t be the case in 2014-2015 with games against Gonzaga and Michigan scheduled.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)