Jun 3, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Former Xavier forward Justin Martin announced through his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night that he had committed to SMU. He has immediate eligibility.
Martin decided to transfer in April and had visited West Virginia and Florida State in addition to SMU.
The 6-foot-6 Martin was second on Xavier in scoring and rebounding last season at 11.7 points and 5.2 boards per game. He will look to continue that production in the Mustangs frontline, which returns American Athletic Conference second team selection Markus Kennedy. SMU should also feature one of the nation’s top back courts with leading scorer Nic Moore and five-star incoming freshman Emmanuel Mudiay.
Martin, who played in two NCAA tournaments in his three years with the Musketeers, will provide added experience and depth to a program that is looking to return to the tournament for the first time since 1993. Despite spending time in the top-25 this past season, that drought continued for the Mustangs, who were left out of the field of 68 due to a weak non-conference schedule. That shouldn’t be the case in 2014-2015 with games against Gonzaga and Michigan scheduled.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)