Jun 3, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Former Xavier forward Justin Martin announced through his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night that he had committed to SMU. He has immediate eligibility.
Martin decided to transfer in April and had visited West Virginia and Florida State in addition to SMU.
The 6-foot-6 Martin was second on Xavier in scoring and rebounding last season at 11.7 points and 5.2 boards per game. He will look to continue that production in the Mustangs frontline, which returns American Athletic Conference second team selection Markus Kennedy. SMU should also feature one of the nation’s top back courts with leading scorer Nic Moore and five-star incoming freshman Emmanuel Mudiay.
Martin, who played in two NCAA tournaments in his three years with the Musketeers, will provide added experience and depth to a program that is looking to return to the tournament for the first time since 1993. Despite spending time in the top-25 this past season, that drought continued for the Mustangs, who were left out of the field of 68 due to a weak non-conference schedule. That shouldn’t be the case in 2014-2015 with games against Gonzaga and Michigan scheduled.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)