Jun 3, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Former Xavier forward Justin Martin announced through his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night that he had committed to SMU. He has immediate eligibility.
Martin decided to transfer in April and had visited West Virginia and Florida State in addition to SMU.
The 6-foot-6 Martin was second on Xavier in scoring and rebounding last season at 11.7 points and 5.2 boards per game. He will look to continue that production in the Mustangs frontline, which returns American Athletic Conference second team selection Markus Kennedy. SMU should also feature one of the nation’s top back courts with leading scorer Nic Moore and five-star incoming freshman Emmanuel Mudiay.
Martin, who played in two NCAA tournaments in his three years with the Musketeers, will provide added experience and depth to a program that is looking to return to the tournament for the first time since 1993. Despite spending time in the top-25 this past season, that drought continued for the Mustangs, who were left out of the field of 68 due to a weak non-conference schedule. That shouldn’t be the case in 2014-2015 with games against Gonzaga and Michigan scheduled.
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 6
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 67
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (67)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)