Jun 3, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Larry Brown hasn’t coached in the NBA since 2010, but that hasn’t stopped his name from being thrown around as a potential candidate for vacancies.
The Los Angeles Lakers have talked about the possibility of contacting the Hall of Fame coach, according to a report filed earlier this week by Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com.
The Lakers, sources add, have also internally discussed reaching out to Scott Skiles and former NBA championship-winning coach Larry Brown, who has spent the past two seasons in the college game at SMU.
At this point, his name is merely being tossed around along with others. The Lakers are in a wide-ranging coaching search, having interviewed or discussed the position with six former NBA coaches so far. In 2004, Brown, who is now 73, became the first coach to win an NBA and NCAA title when his Detroit Pistons knocked off the Lakers in the Finals.
Brown, the basketball coaching nomad, made his return to the college ranks in 2012 when he revived the SMU program. In only his second season, Brown almost got the Mustangs back in the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1993. However, a weak strength of schedule left them on the cutting room floor on Selection Sunday.
The Ponies have the bulk of their roster returning, including leading scorer Nic Moore and top rebounder Markus Kennedy, in addition to the arrival of Emmanuel Mudiay, the No. 2 overall recruit in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. SMU is arguably a top-10 team heading into the 2014-2015 season.
Mike D’Antoni resigned as the Lakers’ coach in late April. He was linked to the opening at his alma mater, Marshall. His brother, Dan D’Antoni, was hired by the Thundering Herd on April 24.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)