Jun 4, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
After winning the Big Ten regular season title and reaching the Sweet 16 in 2012-13 Indiana’s relative lack of experience proved to be an issue last season, as the Hoosiers finished with a record of 17-15 and did not play in a postseason event after not being selected for the Postseason NIT. Obviously with that being the case the expectation is that Tom Crean’s program will take a step forward in 2014-15, and the Hoosiers will get in some early game action this summer.
Wednesday afternoon the school made official its plans to play five exhibition games over a six-day span in Montreal. The Hoosiers will leave for Montreal on August 7, and they’ll play five games from August 8-13.
Not only does this give a team that will once again be led by point guard Yogi Ferrell valuable game action, they’ll also have the ten practices that a team is allowed to use before leaving the country for a summer trip per NCAA rules. Indiana has just three upperclassmen on its 2014-15 roster at present time: Ferrell, power forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea and center Peter Jurkin.
With the instructional time (two hours per week), practices and games, Indiana will have a “head start” of sorts in strengthening the on-court chemistry of its young roster.
“The ten practices in the past used to be a much bigger deal until they put in the new rule where we will get two hours to work with our players and ten practices,” Crean said in the release. “This trip will give us a chance to do a lot of things in a short period of time and I think that is really good.”
Among the five games are contests against Carleton and Ottawa University, with Carleton having won ten of the last 12 Canadian national titles and Ottawa falling to the Ravens in last year’s title game. It should also be noted that Carleton has been a difficult opponent for NCAA opponents in the past. Just last season Carleton beat Wisconsin and took Syracuse to overtime in exhibition games last summer.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)