Jun 4, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Kevin Ollie spurned the NBA two weeks ago, agreeing to a five-year deal with UConn.
Several NBA franchises had targeted Ollie as a potential coaching candidate following UConn’s unlikely run to its second National Title in four years. If NBA teams want to make another run at the NBA journeyman turned college coach, they might have to wait.
“There’s no place else I’d rather be,” Ollie added. “Questions about leaving [UConn], I kept telling you all the same things and you kept coming up with other questions. But I’m not going anywhere.”
Ollie’s new deal, signed on May 22, runs through the 2018-2019 season. He will be paid $2.8 million in the first year of his new contract, making him one of the 10 highest-paid coaches in country. If Ollie, 41, were to make the jump to the NBA in any of the final three years of his deal, he would have to pay a buyout of $1 million.
The 13-year NBA veteran was linked to multiple coaching vacancies this offseason. The Cleveland Cavaliers, owner of the No. 1 overall pick in this month’s NBA Draft, were reportedly pursuing Ollie the hardest while the Los Angeles Lakers were considering reaching out to him.
In two seasons as the UConn head coach, Ollie has amassed a 52-18 record. Despite losing All-America point guard Shabazz Napier, the returning and incoming perimeter for the Huskies makes them a preseason top-20 team.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)