Jun 4, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
With North Carolina losing the player expected to be its highest scoring perimeter option in P.J. Hairston, roles changed for Roy Williams’ guards early in the 2013-14 season. Marcus Paige became the Tar Heels’ leading scorer while also being asked to serve as their primary distributor, and Nate Britt played just over 20 minutes per game at the point.
Britt was solid in his debut campaign, posting averages of 5.1 points and 2.4 assists per game for North Carolina. But there was a significant issue that Britt wanted to address during the offseason: his shooting. Britt shot just 36.7% from the field and 25.0% from beyond the arc last season, numbers that he’ll need to improve in 2014-15 in order to receive similar (or more) minutes.
Apparently Britt’s taken a step not seen too often when it comes to players looking to improve their shot: after shooting predominantly with his left hand in 2013-14, Britt will be taking the majority of his shots with his right hand in 2014-15.
While this move is rare it isn’t unprecedented, with Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Eisenberg noting in his story on Britt’s switch in shooting hands that Tristan Thompson of the Cleveland Cavaliers made a similar switch during an offseason. And there’s also the case of Drexel guard Tavon Allen, who’s ambidextrous and can shoot jump shots with either hand (he prefers to shoot lefty from beyond the arc).
Britt’s progression will be interesting to watch for two reasons: whether or not his percentages improve, and if opponents are caught off-guard by the player they last saw as a southpaw suddenly firing up jumpers with his right hand.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)