Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
It’s been four months since Brandon Ashley suffered the broken foot in Arizona’s visit to Cal that changed the trajectory of Arizona’s season.
And we’re still not close to Ashley being ready to return to full contact, five-on-five action.
“This four months really was about healing, really allowing everything to take shape, to stay off it,” Arizona head coach Sean Miller told reporters this week. “The one thing he’s doing is he’s started to walk under water. He has less and less soreness; it’s not pain anymore.”
The goal, Miller said, is to get Ashley back onto the court by August.
“We look at June, July, August as being pivotal. At that point we would like to see him return to form and be out there. He’s been in a difficult situation of taking it slow. It’s not easy just to do nothing.”
On the one hand, it’s a good thing that Arizona is taking this injury seriously and ensuring that Ashley, who potentially has an NBA career ahead of him, is back to 100% before returning to the court. But on the other hand, the summer months are when a basketball player actually improves. It’s when the athlete has a chance to get into the gym and develop his back-to-the-basket game or extend the range on his jumper. That’s when a starter turns himself into an all-league player or an all-league player becomes an all-american.
Getting healthy is priority No. 1 for Ashley, but it’s hard to imagine him taking his game to the next level in 2014-2015 without this offseason to improve.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)