Jun 5, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
In his first season as the starting point guard at UAB, Chad Frazier put forth a highly productive debut season for head coach Jerod Haase. Frazier posted averages of 17.7 points and 4.3 assists per game, earning first team All-Conference USA honors as a result.
Unfortunately for Frazier the summer hasn’t gotten off to the best of starts, as on Thursday it was reported that the rising senior was arrested and charged with third-degree domestic violence. The charges stem from an incident that occurred in April, and Frazier was released from jail after posting the $1,000 bond.
According to Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards, the incident happened on April 17. The female victim got into an altercation with Frazier that escalated and Frazier allegedly lost control and threw a laptop into the room where the victim was located.
Frazier allegedly became angrier when the victim tried to calm him down. The victim says Frazier became violent and pushed her into a bookshelf in the bedroom and later tried to pin her to the ground, where she says Frazier hit her several times with his closed fist while pushing down to the ground with his hands on her upper chest.
Per the report from AL.com’s Solomon Crenshaw Jr., the victim claimed to have bitten Frazier twice and also attempted to kick him in the groin area out of self defense while Frazier was striking her. Haase issued a brief statement on the matter, saying the following according to the AL.com report:
“I am aware of the allegations regarding Chad Frazier,” Haase said. “Once the process is complete and all the details are available, we will handle the outcome appropriately. With this being an ongoing situation, we will not be able to comment any further at this time.”
UAB finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-13 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. Including Frazier, the Blazers will return just two of their top five scorers from last season with rising senior forward C.J. Washington (13.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg) being the other returnee.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)