Jun 5, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
In his first season as the starting point guard at UAB, Chad Frazier put forth a highly productive debut season for head coach Jerod Haase. Frazier posted averages of 17.7 points and 4.3 assists per game, earning first team All-Conference USA honors as a result.
Unfortunately for Frazier the summer hasn’t gotten off to the best of starts, as on Thursday it was reported that the rising senior was arrested and charged with third-degree domestic violence. The charges stem from an incident that occurred in April, and Frazier was released from jail after posting the $1,000 bond.
According to Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards, the incident happened on April 17. The female victim got into an altercation with Frazier that escalated and Frazier allegedly lost control and threw a laptop into the room where the victim was located.
Frazier allegedly became angrier when the victim tried to calm him down. The victim says Frazier became violent and pushed her into a bookshelf in the bedroom and later tried to pin her to the ground, where she says Frazier hit her several times with his closed fist while pushing down to the ground with his hands on her upper chest.
Per the report from AL.com’s Solomon Crenshaw Jr., the victim claimed to have bitten Frazier twice and also attempted to kick him in the groin area out of self defense while Frazier was striking her. Haase issued a brief statement on the matter, saying the following according to the AL.com report:
“I am aware of the allegations regarding Chad Frazier,” Haase said. “Once the process is complete and all the details are available, we will handle the outcome appropriately. With this being an ongoing situation, we will not be able to comment any further at this time.”
UAB finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-13 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. Including Frazier, the Blazers will return just two of their top five scorers from last season with rising senior forward C.J. Washington (13.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg) being the other returnee.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)