Jun 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
With one opening on his coaching staff left to fill, Ball State head coach James Whitford has hired an assistant who is undoubtedly familiar with the way in which he wants to do things in Muncie.
Thursday the school made official the news that was reported by multiple outlets earlier in the week, that Danny Peters would join the Ball State coaching staff. Peters was formerly the assistant director of basketball operations at Arizona, where he spent three seasons with Whitford before the latter accepted the head coaching position at Ball State last spring.
“Danny is one of the best and brightest young minds in the game,” Whitford said in the release. “He knows the way we want to play inside and out. He has tremendous experience from his days at Ohio State and Arizona. He is really talented, and we are fortunate to have him join us at Ball State.”
Peters is the second hire to the Ball State coaching staff this spring, with Brian Thornton joining the program in early May. Thornton and Peters join Jason Grunkemeyer, the lone holdover from last season’s coaching staff, as Whitford’s assistants. In Whitford’s first season at the helm Ball State finished with a record of 5-25 (2-16 MAC).
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)