Jun 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
With one opening on his coaching staff left to fill, Ball State head coach James Whitford has hired an assistant who is undoubtedly familiar with the way in which he wants to do things in Muncie.
Thursday the school made official the news that was reported by multiple outlets earlier in the week, that Danny Peters would join the Ball State coaching staff. Peters was formerly the assistant director of basketball operations at Arizona, where he spent three seasons with Whitford before the latter accepted the head coaching position at Ball State last spring.
“Danny is one of the best and brightest young minds in the game,” Whitford said in the release. “He knows the way we want to play inside and out. He has tremendous experience from his days at Ohio State and Arizona. He is really talented, and we are fortunate to have him join us at Ball State.”
Peters is the second hire to the Ball State coaching staff this spring, with Brian Thornton joining the program in early May. Thornton and Peters join Jason Grunkemeyer, the lone holdover from last season’s coaching staff, as Whitford’s assistants. In Whitford’s first season at the helm Ball State finished with a record of 5-25 (2-16 MAC).
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)