Jun 6, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
Georgia Tech head coach Brian Gregory has been one of the busier coaches on the transfer market this spring, and Friday he received a third commitment from a player looking for a new home. Nick Jacobs, a 6-foot-8 forward who played his first three seasons at Alabama, announced his decision to transfer to Georgia Tech according to multiple outlets. Jacobs picked the Yellow Jackets over fellow ACC school Miami.
Jacobs started ten of the 25 games in which he played last season, posting averages of 8.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. Jacobs’ season was cut short by the decision to take an indefinite leave of absence from the program in mid-February, as he did not return to the program after playing in the Crimson Tide’s loss to South Carolina on February 15.
In mid-May it was announced that Jacobs would be transferring, leading to his selection of Georgia Tech on Friday. He’ll have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, with the 2015-16 campaign serving as his senior season.
Jacobs joins another SEC transfer in former Ole Miss center DeMarco Cox (who is eligible to play immediately) and former USF point guard Josh Heath as transfers who have joined Gregory program’s this spring. In total six players will join the Georgia Tech program, with incoming 6-foot-10 freshmen Ben Lammers and Abdoulaye Gueye being important additions due to their size. The third freshman joining the program is guard Tadric Jackson.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 3
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)