Jun 6, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
As a sophomore at Butler, 6-foot-4 guard Devontae Morgan played in just 14 games last season and posted averages of 1.8 points and 0.9 rebounds per game. With his playing just over six minutes per game last season Morgan made the decision to transfer, and Thursday he announced via his Twitter account that he’s headed to James Madison.
Morgan’s decision came while he was visiting the James Madison campus. Last week it was reported by Mark Singelais of the Albany Times Union that Morgan was also considering Siena, despite the fact that all 13 of the Saints’ scholarships for the 2014-15 season were accounted for at the time.
Morgan will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him with two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Morgan becomes the fifth newcomer to join the James Madison program, a group that includes one junior college transfer (guard Winston Grays III) and three incoming freshmen.
JMU finished the 2013-14 season with an 11-20 record, going 6-10 in CAA play. Guards Ron Curry (12.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.4 apg) and Andre Nation (15.4, 5.3; played in just 14 games due in part to a 15-game suspension) return in 2014-15 and they’ll be expected to lead the way.
However head coach Matt Brady will have to account for the loss of three of his top five scorers from that team, with Charles Cooke and Taylor Bessick both deciding to transfer and Andrey Semenov out of eligibility.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 4
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)