Jun 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Samford moved quickly in replacing former head coach Bennie Seltzer, as the program hired assistant coach and former Kentucky star Scott Padgett on Friday.
The school announced the hiring of Padgett in a release to replace Seltzer, who is out after two seasons at the helm.
“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to be the head coach at Samford University and to coach these outstanding young men,” said Padgett in the release. “This program is going to be all about our players; former, current and future. It’s going to be about promoting the mission of this great university and helping these young men in their academic, athletic and spiritual growth.”
Padgett helped Kentucky to a 1997 NCAA title game and a 1998 NCAA championship and he played for two very good coaches in Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith. Padgett was also a NBA first-round pick of the Utah Jazz in 1999. The 38-year-old Padgett has also worked at Kentucky under John Calipari and as an assistant coach under Steve Masiello at Manhattan.
“We’re going to play an exciting brand of basketball here at Samford, similar to the style I played under Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith at the University of Kentucky,” Padgett said in the release. “We are going to press, get up and down the court for 40 minutes and wear down the opposition. It’s going to be a playing style that recruits, current players and fans will love.”
Samford sounds like they at least have a plan in place, but it will be tough to replace recently departed transfer Tim Williams.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 2
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)