Jun 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Samford moved quickly in replacing former head coach Bennie Seltzer, as the program hired assistant coach and former Kentucky star Scott Padgett on Friday.
The school announced the hiring of Padgett in a release to replace Seltzer, who is out after two seasons at the helm.
“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to be the head coach at Samford University and to coach these outstanding young men,” said Padgett in the release. “This program is going to be all about our players; former, current and future. It’s going to be about promoting the mission of this great university and helping these young men in their academic, athletic and spiritual growth.”
Padgett helped Kentucky to a 1997 NCAA title game and a 1998 NCAA championship and he played for two very good coaches in Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith. Padgett was also a NBA first-round pick of the Utah Jazz in 1999. The 38-year-old Padgett has also worked at Kentucky under John Calipari and as an assistant coach under Steve Masiello at Manhattan.
“We’re going to play an exciting brand of basketball here at Samford, similar to the style I played under Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith at the University of Kentucky,” Padgett said in the release. “We are going to press, get up and down the court for 40 minutes and wear down the opposition. It’s going to be a playing style that recruits, current players and fans will love.”
Samford sounds like they at least have a plan in place, but it will be tough to replace recently departed transfer Tim Williams.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)