Jun 6, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Western Carolina has awarded head coach Larry Hunter with a new contract as one of the most active winningest coaches in the NCAA will continue with three more guaranteed years followed by some option years, the school announced in a release.
Hunter is 140-152 in his tenure at Western Carolina and owns 649 wins in 33 seasons as a head coach, good enough for 10th among active NCAA coaches. The Catamounts finished 19-15 last season and 10-6 in the Southern Conference.
“We are very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the men’s basketball program at Western Carolina University,” Hunter said in the release. “We will continue to operate the program with great integrity and class, while striving to make positive contributions to WCU and the region along with winning Southern Conference championships.”
This will be Hunter’s 10th year at Western Carolina after also spending time as an assistant at North Carolina State and a head coach at Ohio.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)