Jun 6, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Western Carolina has awarded head coach Larry Hunter with a new contract as one of the most active winningest coaches in the NCAA will continue with three more guaranteed years followed by some option years, the school announced in a release.
Hunter is 140-152 in his tenure at Western Carolina and owns 649 wins in 33 seasons as a head coach, good enough for 10th among active NCAA coaches. The Catamounts finished 19-15 last season and 10-6 in the Southern Conference.
“We are very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the men’s basketball program at Western Carolina University,” Hunter said in the release. “We will continue to operate the program with great integrity and class, while striving to make positive contributions to WCU and the region along with winning Southern Conference championships.”
This will be Hunter’s 10th year at Western Carolina after also spending time as an assistant at North Carolina State and a head coach at Ohio.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)