Jun 6, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Western Carolina has awarded head coach Larry Hunter with a new contract as one of the most active winningest coaches in the NCAA will continue with three more guaranteed years followed by some option years, the school announced in a release.
Hunter is 140-152 in his tenure at Western Carolina and owns 649 wins in 33 seasons as a head coach, good enough for 10th among active NCAA coaches. The Catamounts finished 19-15 last season and 10-6 in the Southern Conference.
“We are very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the men’s basketball program at Western Carolina University,” Hunter said in the release. “We will continue to operate the program with great integrity and class, while striving to make positive contributions to WCU and the region along with winning Southern Conference championships.”
This will be Hunter’s 10th year at Western Carolina after also spending time as an assistant at North Carolina State and a head coach at Ohio.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)