Jun 6, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Western Carolina has awarded head coach Larry Hunter with a new contract as one of the most active winningest coaches in the NCAA will continue with three more guaranteed years followed by some option years, the school announced in a release.
Hunter is 140-152 in his tenure at Western Carolina and owns 649 wins in 33 seasons as a head coach, good enough for 10th among active NCAA coaches. The Catamounts finished 19-15 last season and 10-6 in the Southern Conference.
“We are very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the men’s basketball program at Western Carolina University,” Hunter said in the release. “We will continue to operate the program with great integrity and class, while striving to make positive contributions to WCU and the region along with winning Southern Conference championships.”
This will be Hunter’s 10th year at Western Carolina after also spending time as an assistant at North Carolina State and a head coach at Ohio.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)