Jun 7, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
Details of Auburn coaches’ contracts were released on Friday and it includes the details of men’s basketball head coach Bruce Pearl’s new six-year deal.
According to James Crepea of the Montgomery Advertiser, the deal is worth $14.7 million and includes $250,000 in base salary and $975,000 in both endorsement rights and media appearances, with increases of $50,000 annually in both. Peal also got a one-time signing bonus of $500,000.
The former Tennessee head coach also has 16 performance bonuses which includes $25,000 for 20 wins or nine SEC wins in each of the next two seasons, or 22 wins, 25 wins of a NIT title. Pearl can also receive a $500,00 bonus for winning the national title.
Also of note in Pearl’s contract, he will owe Auburn $500,000 if he violates his NCAA show-cause penalty.
The buyout for Pearl’s contract is for 50 percent of his remaining contract. There’s a decreasing sum Pearl would owe for each year he would leave Auburn, beginning with $5 million if he left before April 15, 2016 and decreasing by $1 million each year through 2020. A final amount of $250,000 would remain if Pearl left after April 15, 2020, but before the end of this contract, which runs through June 2020.
Auburn is investing quite a bit in Pearl, but the buyout is a tough 50 percent and is high for the next few seasons.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)