Jun 7, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
Details of Auburn coaches’ contracts were released on Friday and it includes the details of men’s basketball head coach Bruce Pearl’s new six-year deal.
According to James Crepea of the Montgomery Advertiser, the deal is worth $14.7 million and includes $250,000 in base salary and $975,000 in both endorsement rights and media appearances, with increases of $50,000 annually in both. Peal also got a one-time signing bonus of $500,000.
The former Tennessee head coach also has 16 performance bonuses which includes $25,000 for 20 wins or nine SEC wins in each of the next two seasons, or 22 wins, 25 wins of a NIT title. Pearl can also receive a $500,00 bonus for winning the national title.
Also of note in Pearl’s contract, he will owe Auburn $500,000 if he violates his NCAA show-cause penalty.
The buyout for Pearl’s contract is for 50 percent of his remaining contract. There’s a decreasing sum Pearl would owe for each year he would leave Auburn, beginning with $5 million if he left before April 15, 2016 and decreasing by $1 million each year through 2020. A final amount of $250,000 would remain if Pearl left after April 15, 2020, but before the end of this contract, which runs through June 2020.
Auburn is investing quite a bit in Pearl, but the buyout is a tough 50 percent and is high for the next few seasons.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)