Jun 7, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
In looking to keep up in the Big East after the graduation of All-American Doug McDermott, Creighton has continued to aggressively recruit the country for talent, but they’ve also improved their on-campus amenities immensely with their new practice facility.
Athletic director Bruce Rasmussen showed off the new $13 million practice facility to the media on Friday. The Associated Press was there to take it in.
“Kids and their parents want to see if you’re walking the talk,” Rasmussen said to the media. “Everybody wants to be Top 25. They say we want to be an NCAA-caliber program every year. You come into the strength-and-conditioning area, you go into the athletic training area, you go into the academic support area and you see the practice area.
“You’re saying, ‘I think they have made a commitment to where they can say we’re trying to keep up and be nationally relevant with a number of sports.’ ”
The facility includes a pro-level practice floor paid for by Kyle Korver, a player’s lounge named after Doug McDermott (at the request of the donor) that includes tour 90-inch televisions and three 60-inch televisions.
A locker room touchscreen that is 94 inches and custom iPod docks for locker room and shower listening. The weight room has also doubled in size to 6,000 square feet and has an iPad attached to each station to record movement on the machine to report for data.
Creighton has done a nice job of investing money into the men’s basketball program through a very nice practice facility. By putting focus into development, players that Creighton recruits can buy into a plan and it should pay off for them long term.
Coming off of the having a prolific scoring All-American like Doug McDermott, the Bluejays are capitalizing immediately on the recruiting trail.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)