Jun 7, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
With Julian Boyd unable to play last season due to a torn ACL, forward E.J. Reed was asked to step forward offensively for the LIU-Brooklyn Blackbirds. Reed posted averages of 12.3 points and 5.6 rebounds per contest in 2013-14, leading the Blackbirds in both statistical categories.
However instead of finding out what Reed would be able to do in 2014-15 under LIU head coach Jack Perri, it’s been reported that the 6-foot-6 forward has found a new school. Reported first by Brad Keith of the Stephenville (Texas) Empire-Tribune, Reed is now a member of the Tarleton State basketball program.
Tarleton State is a Division II school in Texas, meaning that Reed will be eligible to play immediately. Reed proved to be a valuable piece for the Blackbirds last season, but his frequent bouts with foul trouble was an issue that LIU had to navigate in 2013-14 as noted by Nelson Castillo of the Blackbirds Hoops Journal.
Although Reed scoring numbers was respectable, he was constantly in foul trouble, seemingly all season long. He fouled out of eight games this past season and finished with 101 fouls which led LIU Brooklyn and was fourth in the NEC. He also had the knack of committing the bad foul at bad times in games. It just didn’t seem like he made the sort of improvement a lot of people were hoping he would make.
Reed is one of two LIU players reportedly transferring to Division II programs this summer, with reserve guard D.J. Griggs headed to Pace University. According to the Empire-Tribune, Reed’s biggest reason for transferring to Tarleton State is homesickness. Reed is a native of Mesquite, Texas.
“I’m very family oriented, and I’ve been missing my mom, my sister and my nephew,” Reed told the Empire-Tribune. “Those are the people who keep me grounded, so I just needed to get back closer to home.”
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)