Jun 7, 2014, 9:36 PM EST
Having already received commitments in its 2014 recruiting class from two junior college transfers, West Virginia received a third on Saturday. 6-foot-6 guard Billydee Williams, who played at South Plains College in Texas last season, committed to attend the Big 12 school during his visit.
Williams joins yards Tarik Phillip and Jaysean Paige as the junior college transfers who will join Bob Huggins’ program this summer, and the Mountaineers will add five new players in total. Guards Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles are the two freshmen joining the program.
As a sophomore Williams averaged 10.4 points and 5.5 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 29-6 record. The Orlando native shot 43.8% from the field and 39.8% from beyond the arc last season, and he scored 20 points or more in five games.
West Virginia lost two members of its backcourt rotation at the end of the 2013-14 season when guards Eron Harris and Terry Henderson decided to transfer. The good news for the Mountaineers was that leading scorer Juwan Staten decided to return to Morgantown for his senior season. Staten posted averages of 18.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game last season, earning first team All-Big 12 honors.
Staten will once again lead the way for West Virginia, which will look to return to the NCAA tournament after missing out in each of the last two seasons.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)