Jun 7, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Having already received commitments in its 2014 recruiting class from two junior college transfers, West Virginia received a third on Saturday. 6-foot-6 guard Billydee Williams, who played at South Plains College in Texas last season, committed to attend the Big 12 school during his visit.
Congrats to Billydee Williams on his commitment to West Virginia!—
Hank Plona (@HankPlona_SPC) June 08, 2014
Williams joins yards Tarik Phillip and Jaysean Paige as the junior college transfers who will join Bob Huggins’ program this summer, and the Mountaineers will add five new players in total. Guards Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles are the two freshmen joining the program.
As a sophomore Williams averaged 10.4 points and 5.5 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 29-6 record. The Orlando native shot 43.8% from the field and 39.8% from beyond the arc last season, and he scored 20 points or more in five games.
West Virginia lost two members of its backcourt rotation at the end of the 2013-14 season when guards Eron Harris and Terry Henderson decided to transfer. The good news for the Mountaineers was that leading scorer Juwan Staten decided to return to Morgantown for his senior season. Staten posted averages of 18.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game last season, earning first team All-Big 12 honors.
Staten will once again lead the way for West Virginia, which will look to return to the NCAA tournament after missing out in each of the last two seasons.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)