Jun 7, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Having already received commitments in its 2014 recruiting class from two junior college transfers, West Virginia received a third on Saturday. 6-foot-6 guard Billydee Williams, who played at South Plains College in Texas last season, committed to attend the Big 12 school during his visit.
Williams joins yards Tarik Phillip and Jaysean Paige as the junior college transfers who will join Bob Huggins’ program this summer, and the Mountaineers will add five new players in total. Guards Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles are the two freshmen joining the program.
As a sophomore Williams averaged 10.4 points and 5.5 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 29-6 record. The Orlando native shot 43.8% from the field and 39.8% from beyond the arc last season, and he scored 20 points or more in five games.
West Virginia lost two members of its backcourt rotation at the end of the 2013-14 season when guards Eron Harris and Terry Henderson decided to transfer. The good news for the Mountaineers was that leading scorer Juwan Staten decided to return to Morgantown for his senior season. Staten posted averages of 18.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game last season, earning first team All-Big 12 honors.
Staten will once again lead the way for West Virginia, which will look to return to the NCAA tournament after missing out in each of the last two seasons.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)