Jun 7, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Having already received commitments in its 2014 recruiting class from two junior college transfers, West Virginia received a third on Saturday. 6-foot-6 guard Billydee Williams, who played at South Plains College in Texas last season, committed to attend the Big 12 school during his visit.
Williams joins yards Tarik Phillip and Jaysean Paige as the junior college transfers who will join Bob Huggins’ program this summer, and the Mountaineers will add five new players in total. Guards Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles are the two freshmen joining the program.
As a sophomore Williams averaged 10.4 points and 5.5 rebounds per game on a team that finished the season with a 29-6 record. The Orlando native shot 43.8% from the field and 39.8% from beyond the arc last season, and he scored 20 points or more in five games.
West Virginia lost two members of its backcourt rotation at the end of the 2013-14 season when guards Eron Harris and Terry Henderson decided to transfer. The good news for the Mountaineers was that leading scorer Juwan Staten decided to return to Morgantown for his senior season. Staten posted averages of 18.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game last season, earning first team All-Big 12 honors.
Staten will once again lead the way for West Virginia, which will look to return to the NCAA tournament after missing out in each of the last two seasons.
- Report: Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 0
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 0
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 12
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 79
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (79)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)