Jun 8, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Two Duquesne basketball players found themselves in hot water early Sunday morning, as both Jeremiah Jones and Micah Mason were arrested by the Pittsburgh Police. According to KDKA Pittsburgh, Jones was charged with simple assault, escape and public drunkeness as a result of his punching another man in the face and then running seven blocks before finally being caught by the police.
Mason, who was with Jones during the incident, was charged with forging his license after the police found that he altered the age on his driver’s license from 20 to 23 years of age. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review both players will be in court on June 18, and their bail was paid by teammate Dominique McKoy.
Those documents say that two Pittsburgh Police officers patrolling in the 1300 block of E. Carson St. spotted Jones punching a man named Kevin Burke in the face. Seeing them, Jones allegedly began to walk away but was ordered to stop. He fled, prompting Officer Timothy Morse to shoot a Taser at him, but he missed, according to the police report. Jones sprinted to a nearby parking lot where another officer apprehended him and Mason, who was jogging behind him.
Jones smelled drunk, Morse wrote, and Mason’s Pennsylvania license had the date of birth changed from 1993 to 1990. Mason said “I did it” with “nail polish remover,” according to court papers. Burke suffered a cut along his upper lip but declined medical attention.
Both Jones and Mason were starters as sophomores last season for Jim Ferry’s Dukes, with Mason posting averages of 10.6 points and 3.0 assists per game in his first season after transferring in from Drake. Jones finished the season with averages of 6.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game, and he was one of four players to start all 30 games for Duquesne in 2013-14.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)