Jun 8, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Two Duquesne basketball players found themselves in hot water early Sunday morning, as both Jeremiah Jones and Micah Mason were arrested by the Pittsburgh Police. According to KDKA Pittsburgh, Jones was charged with simple assault, escape and public drunkeness as a result of his punching another man in the face and then running seven blocks before finally being caught by the police.
Mason, who was with Jones during the incident, was charged with forging his license after the police found that he altered the age on his driver’s license from 20 to 23 years of age. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review both players will be in court on June 18, and their bail was paid by teammate Dominique McKoy.
Those documents say that two Pittsburgh Police officers patrolling in the 1300 block of E. Carson St. spotted Jones punching a man named Kevin Burke in the face. Seeing them, Jones allegedly began to walk away but was ordered to stop. He fled, prompting Officer Timothy Morse to shoot a Taser at him, but he missed, according to the police report. Jones sprinted to a nearby parking lot where another officer apprehended him and Mason, who was jogging behind him.
Jones smelled drunk, Morse wrote, and Mason’s Pennsylvania license had the date of birth changed from 1993 to 1990. Mason said “I did it” with “nail polish remover,” according to court papers. Burke suffered a cut along his upper lip but declined medical attention.
Both Jones and Mason were starters as sophomores last season for Jim Ferry’s Dukes, with Mason posting averages of 10.6 points and 3.0 assists per game in his first season after transferring in from Drake. Jones finished the season with averages of 6.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game, and he was one of four players to start all 30 games for Duquesne in 2013-14.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)