Jun 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
As one of the top front court prospects in the country, 2015 center Daniel Giddens has been one the receiving end of recruiting pledges from many of the nation’s top programs. However Giddens made the decision to narrow his list down to six schools in February: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas and Ohio State.
And Sunday afternoon the Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler HS product announced via his Twitter account that he’ll be making his college decision on July 4, which in addition to being Independence Day is also Giddens’ birthday.
This past season Giddens, who plays alongside another highly regarded 2015 prospect in forward Jaylen Brown, helped lead Wheeler to a 28-6 record and a second place finish in the Georgia Class AAAAAA state tournament. Wheeler fell to Tift County in the title game, 63-49.
Giddens, who’s playing with E1T1 Elite this summer on the Nike EYBL circuit (6.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.6 bpg in 16 games), was also a member of the United States U-16 national team last summer. That team won the FIBA Americas title, with Giddens posting averages of 6.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
What kind of player will one of the six aforementioned schools be receiving when Giddens announces his decision July 4? Kellon Hassenstab of Hoopniks.com wrote the following about Giddens back in February:
A talented defender at this stage in his development, Giddens is still putting the pieces together on the offensive end. Playing in a strong program at Wheeler, Giddens has made an impact on the glass, as well as in blocking shots. He has all the tools to be an imposing defender and rim protector on the defensive end of the floor. He is most comfortable near the hoop on the offensive end, as is athletic enough to make plays off rebounds and in transition.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)