Jun 9, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Former Michigan State star Delvon Roe and current Spartan walk-on Keenan Wetzel will be collaborating on a short film about an injured hoops star.
Roe was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, but chronic knee problems that began with micro-fracture surgery as a high school senior limited him to just three seasons as a Spartan before he gave up the sport. He has since moved to Los Angeles, where he is pursuing a career as an actor, which is perfect for Wetzel, a media and communication major and movie buff who wrote a script with Roe in mind over the last year.
The title of the film, according to the Lansing State-Journal, is ‘The Cager’. Reading a description of the movie, it is easy to tell that the script is based on the life of Roe:
The movie follows Roe’s lead character, Wes, at a crossroad in his life — he’s a college basketball player who was injured during his final game.
However, the film picks up his life five years removed from that moment as he is looking for a job. The 20-something Wes, in the middle of relationship strife with his girlfriend about raising their young child, randomly meets a middle-aged man who imparts some advice — as well as leaving Wes confused about who exactly the older gentleman really is.
Casting will finish up this summer with early August the target date for shooting the film. Wetzel expects that it will be released in October or November.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)