Jun 9, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Former Michigan State star Delvon Roe and current Spartan walk-on Keenan Wetzel will be collaborating on a short film about an injured hoops star.
Roe was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, but chronic knee problems that began with micro-fracture surgery as a high school senior limited him to just three seasons as a Spartan before he gave up the sport. He has since moved to Los Angeles, where he is pursuing a career as an actor, which is perfect for Wetzel, a media and communication major and movie buff who wrote a script with Roe in mind over the last year.
The title of the film, according to the Lansing State-Journal, is ‘The Cager’. Reading a description of the movie, it is easy to tell that the script is based on the life of Roe:
The movie follows Roe’s lead character, Wes, at a crossroad in his life — he’s a college basketball player who was injured during his final game.
However, the film picks up his life five years removed from that moment as he is looking for a job. The 20-something Wes, in the middle of relationship strife with his girlfriend about raising their young child, randomly meets a middle-aged man who imparts some advice — as well as leaving Wes confused about who exactly the older gentleman really is.
Casting will finish up this summer with early August the target date for shooting the film. Wetzel expects that it will be released in October or November.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)