Jun 9, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Former Michigan State star Delvon Roe and current Spartan walk-on Keenan Wetzel will be collaborating on a short film about an injured hoops star.
Roe was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, but chronic knee problems that began with micro-fracture surgery as a high school senior limited him to just three seasons as a Spartan before he gave up the sport. He has since moved to Los Angeles, where he is pursuing a career as an actor, which is perfect for Wetzel, a media and communication major and movie buff who wrote a script with Roe in mind over the last year.
The title of the film, according to the Lansing State-Journal, is ‘The Cager’. Reading a description of the movie, it is easy to tell that the script is based on the life of Roe:
The movie follows Roe’s lead character, Wes, at a crossroad in his life — he’s a college basketball player who was injured during his final game.
However, the film picks up his life five years removed from that moment as he is looking for a job. The 20-something Wes, in the middle of relationship strife with his girlfriend about raising their young child, randomly meets a middle-aged man who imparts some advice — as well as leaving Wes confused about who exactly the older gentleman really is.
Casting will finish up this summer with early August the target date for shooting the film. Wetzel expects that it will be released in October or November.
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)