Jun 9, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Former Michigan State star Delvon Roe and current Spartan walk-on Keenan Wetzel will be collaborating on a short film about an injured hoops star.
Roe was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, but chronic knee problems that began with micro-fracture surgery as a high school senior limited him to just three seasons as a Spartan before he gave up the sport. He has since moved to Los Angeles, where he is pursuing a career as an actor, which is perfect for Wetzel, a media and communication major and movie buff who wrote a script with Roe in mind over the last year.
The title of the film, according to the Lansing State-Journal, is ‘The Cager’. Reading a description of the movie, it is easy to tell that the script is based on the life of Roe:
The movie follows Roe’s lead character, Wes, at a crossroad in his life — he’s a college basketball player who was injured during his final game.
However, the film picks up his life five years removed from that moment as he is looking for a job. The 20-something Wes, in the middle of relationship strife with his girlfriend about raising their young child, randomly meets a middle-aged man who imparts some advice — as well as leaving Wes confused about who exactly the older gentleman really is.
Casting will finish up this summer with early August the target date for shooting the film. Wetzel expects that it will be released in October or November.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)