Jun 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
After losing assistant coach Doc Sadler to the head coaching position at Southern Miss in April, head coach Fred Hoiberg needed to fill that additional spot on his staff. Hoiberg found Sadler’s replacement on Monday as the team promoted director of player development Charlie Henry to assistant coach.
The Cyclones announced the move in an official release.
“Having worked with Charlie the past two years, I’ve seen how valuable he is to our program,” Hoiberg said in the release. “Charlie is a hard worker with great attention to detail. He is very dedicated to helping our program and our players improve. Charlie is as good a young basketball mind as I’ve ever been around and has a bright future as a basketball coach. I have no doubt he will be a huge asset to our staff.”
Henry has been at Iowa State since 2012-13 and started as a graduate assistant. He’s also been on staff as the video coordinator for the Indiana Pacers and a graduate manager at Utah under Jim Boylen.
Iowa State is going with an inexperienced coach here, but clearly, Hoiberg sees something in Henry and thinks he’s enough of an asset to move up the staff twice in two seasons.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)