Jun 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
After losing assistant coach Doc Sadler to the head coaching position at Southern Miss in April, head coach Fred Hoiberg needed to fill that additional spot on his staff. Hoiberg found Sadler’s replacement on Monday as the team promoted director of player development Charlie Henry to assistant coach.
The Cyclones announced the move in an official release.
“Having worked with Charlie the past two years, I’ve seen how valuable he is to our program,” Hoiberg said in the release. “Charlie is a hard worker with great attention to detail. He is very dedicated to helping our program and our players improve. Charlie is as good a young basketball mind as I’ve ever been around and has a bright future as a basketball coach. I have no doubt he will be a huge asset to our staff.”
Henry has been at Iowa State since 2012-13 and started as a graduate assistant. He’s also been on staff as the video coordinator for the Indiana Pacers and a graduate manager at Utah under Jim Boylen.
Iowa State is going with an inexperienced coach here, but clearly, Hoiberg sees something in Henry and thinks he’s enough of an asset to move up the staff twice in two seasons.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)