Jun 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
After losing assistant coach Doc Sadler to the head coaching position at Southern Miss in April, head coach Fred Hoiberg needed to fill that additional spot on his staff. Hoiberg found Sadler’s replacement on Monday as the team promoted director of player development Charlie Henry to assistant coach.
The Cyclones announced the move in an official release.
“Having worked with Charlie the past two years, I’ve seen how valuable he is to our program,” Hoiberg said in the release. “Charlie is a hard worker with great attention to detail. He is very dedicated to helping our program and our players improve. Charlie is as good a young basketball mind as I’ve ever been around and has a bright future as a basketball coach. I have no doubt he will be a huge asset to our staff.”
Henry has been at Iowa State since 2012-13 and started as a graduate assistant. He’s also been on staff as the video coordinator for the Indiana Pacers and a graduate manager at Utah under Jim Boylen.
Iowa State is going with an inexperienced coach here, but clearly, Hoiberg sees something in Henry and thinks he’s enough of an asset to move up the staff twice in two seasons.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)