Jun 9, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Penn State and George Washington haven’t played since 1991, but they’re renewing a regional rivalry with a home-and-home series announced on Monday in a release from Penn State.
George Washington will travel to Penn State on December 14, 2014 and the Nittany Lions will return to face the Colonials at the Charles E. Smith Center in the 2015-16 season.
“We are excited to have a NCAA tournament team in George Washington coming to Happy Valley this upcoming season,” Penn State coach Pat Chambers said in the release. “Coach Lonergan has done a great job, and their style of play will help us prepare for conference play.”
The two teams haven’t played since the 1991 Palm Beach Classic and George Washington is coming off of a NCAA Tournament appearance and Penn State returns four starters.
“Pat [Chambers] and his staff have done a great job improving the program at Penn State and we look forward to having another quality opponent from the Big Ten on our schedule for the next two years,” George Washington head coach Mike Lonergan said in the release.
Lonergan and Chambers have met before when George Washington met Boston five times from 2009-2011 when the two were head coaches there.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 1
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)