Jun 10, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Kentucky’s four new McDonald’s All-Americans have arrived on campus as Devin Booker, Trey Lyles, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis all took to social media to announce their arrivals in Lexington, according to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal.
All four class of 2014 freshmen will begin classes and workouts with the team this summer and it means head coach John Calipari can get his new pieces acclimated a little more quickly for next season’s potential championship run.
As Jones notes in the story, the Harrison twins and James Young didn’t arrive until August of last summer and it might have affected their timing and development slightly in the beginning of the season.
Now, Calipari can get Ulis and Booker adjusted to running with the second team and being valuable backups in the backcourt this season while Lyles and Towns can work with the talented group of Kentucky big men that will be without Willie Cauley-Stein this summer as he recovers from offseason surgery on his ankle.
The freshmen will also get more time with the team before Kentucky’s international exhibition trip in August, which looks like it will be in the Bahamas. The trip will give the freshmen minutes in exhibition games this summer and also allows for additional practice time leading up to the trip.
The narrative won’t be the same surrounding this year’s Kentucky freshmen and all four members of the 2014 class showing up on campus early points to how low key this group of players is off-the-floor compared to the 2013 class.
While the 2013 class was littered with dominant, type-A personalities and ball-dominant players who were always involved in the one-and-done talk, this 2014 group of freshmen shouldn’t have nearly as much hype or difficulty sharing the ball.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)