Jun 10, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
North Carolina Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham issued another statement on Tuesday regarding the accusations made by former Tar Heel guard Rashad McCants.
On Friday, an interview that McCants gave to Outside The Lines was published. In that interview, McCants claimed that Roy Williams knew about academic impropriety at North Carolina. McCants claimed that it was Williams that setup no-show classes in the Afro-American Studies department that allowed McCants to remain eligible to play basketball.
Williams responded to the claims in a 35-minute interview with Jay Bilas of ESPN.com and, on Friday, Cunningham made a joint statement with Williams denying the accusations.
On Tuesday, Cunningham reiterated that stance.
“Since Friday, there have been conversations inside and outside the Carolina Community about Roy Williams and Carolina Basketball,” Cunningham said. “I am proud to see the outpouring of support from former players and the basketball community at large, which reinforces the respect, integrity and care of student-athletes that Coach Williams ahas shown throughout his career. Current and former players from across the country have told me that Coach Williams and his staff have always place a priority on self-accountability inside the classroom. I have witness this myself.”
“Everyone here at Carolina wants to know all we can about past academic and athletic anomalies. But speculation and innuendo should not replace the independent investigation currently being conducted by former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein. We must allow his work to be complete and thorough.”
Keep in mind while you read these denials: the Raleigh News & Observer, reporting facts dug up by whistleblower Mary Willingham, has found that “five members of [the 2005 national title-winning] team, including at least four key players, accounted for a combined 39 enrollments in classes that have been identified as confirmed or suspected lecture classes that never met”:
North Carolina can deny as much as they want, but the data is damning.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)