Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Buzz Williams did plenty of good things with junior college recruits at Marquette, and early this week, the new head coach at Virginia Tech landed his first junior college recruit as coach of the Hokies with the commitment of Georgia Perimeter Junior College forward Shane Henry. Henry’s commitment was first reported by CBS Sports‘ Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-8 Henry ranked fifth in junior college basketball in rebounding and second in blocked shots per game last season at Georgia Perimeter as he averaged 13.2 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.7 blocked shots per game. Henry also shot 51.3 percent from the field on the season.
The commitment of Henry gives the Hokies another valuable frontcourt rotation member as C.J. Barksdale and Joey van Zegeren are the only returning frontcourt players from last season.
Henry joins high school wings Ahmed Hill, Justin Bibbs and Jalen Hudson and big man Satchel Pierce in Williams’ first class at Virginia Tech. Williams also has transfers in Maryland guard Seth Allen and South Florida power forward Zach LeDay.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)