Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Buzz Williams did plenty of good things with junior college recruits at Marquette, and early this week, the new head coach at Virginia Tech landed his first junior college recruit as coach of the Hokies with the commitment of Georgia Perimeter Junior College forward Shane Henry. Henry’s commitment was first reported by CBS Sports‘ Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-8 Henry ranked fifth in junior college basketball in rebounding and second in blocked shots per game last season at Georgia Perimeter as he averaged 13.2 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.7 blocked shots per game. Henry also shot 51.3 percent from the field on the season.
The commitment of Henry gives the Hokies another valuable frontcourt rotation member as C.J. Barksdale and Joey van Zegeren are the only returning frontcourt players from last season.
Henry joins high school wings Ahmed Hill, Justin Bibbs and Jalen Hudson and big man Satchel Pierce in Williams’ first class at Virginia Tech. Williams also has transfers in Maryland guard Seth Allen and South Florida power forward Zach LeDay.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)