Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Buzz Williams did plenty of good things with junior college recruits at Marquette, and early this week, the new head coach at Virginia Tech landed his first junior college recruit as coach of the Hokies with the commitment of Georgia Perimeter Junior College forward Shane Henry. Henry’s commitment was first reported by CBS Sports‘ Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-8 Henry ranked fifth in junior college basketball in rebounding and second in blocked shots per game last season at Georgia Perimeter as he averaged 13.2 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.7 blocked shots per game. Henry also shot 51.3 percent from the field on the season.
The commitment of Henry gives the Hokies another valuable frontcourt rotation member as C.J. Barksdale and Joey van Zegeren are the only returning frontcourt players from last season.
Henry joins high school wings Ahmed Hill, Justin Bibbs and Jalen Hudson and big man Satchel Pierce in Williams’ first class at Virginia Tech. Williams also has transfers in Maryland guard Seth Allen and South Florida power forward Zach LeDay.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)