Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Buzz Williams did plenty of good things with junior college recruits at Marquette, and early this week, the new head coach at Virginia Tech landed his first junior college recruit as coach of the Hokies with the commitment of Georgia Perimeter Junior College forward Shane Henry. Henry’s commitment was first reported by CBS Sports‘ Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-8 Henry ranked fifth in junior college basketball in rebounding and second in blocked shots per game last season at Georgia Perimeter as he averaged 13.2 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.7 blocked shots per game. Henry also shot 51.3 percent from the field on the season.
The commitment of Henry gives the Hokies another valuable frontcourt rotation member as C.J. Barksdale and Joey van Zegeren are the only returning frontcourt players from last season.
Henry joins high school wings Ahmed Hill, Justin Bibbs and Jalen Hudson and big man Satchel Pierce in Williams’ first class at Virginia Tech. Williams also has transfers in Maryland guard Seth Allen and South Florida power forward Zach LeDay.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)