Jun 11, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The case of Bubu Palo at Iowa State the last couple of years has been an interesting one to say the least. In September 2012 Palo was suspended from the basketball program after being charged with second-degree sexual abuse, and then reinstated in January 2013 after no charges were field due to inconsistencies in the accuser’s stories regarding the alleged abuse.
With that being the case, the hope for Palo was that he could move forward with the rest of his college career. However in September 2013 the school dismissed Palo from the program, and it wasn’t until January that a Webster County judge took the step of reinstating Palo himself. Palo didn’t play a game for the Cyclones after the court ruling, and once Iowa State fell to UConn in the Sweet 16 he made known his intentions of transferring and applying for a waiver that would give him another season of eligibility.
Palo has found a new school, as it was reported Wednesday night by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune that Palo has committed to join Larry Eustachy’s program at Colorado State.
Now that Palo has a destination, the next step is to appeal the NCAA for an extra season of eligibility. In addition to not playing at all last season Palo redshirted in 2009-10 after joining the Iowa State program as a recruited walk-on. According to Hines’ report (via Twitter), those close to Palo are hopeful that a waiver would be granted.
Colorado State is a team expected to make a jump in the Mountain West next season due in large part to the return of their top four scorers, led by rising redshirt seniors J.J. Avila (16.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg) and Daniel Bejarano (16.3, 8.3). The Rams will also add three transfers (not counting Palo) to the rotation: guard John Gillon and forwards Dantiel Daniels and Staunton Kidd.
Adding Palo, provided he receives the waiver needed to become eligible, would give Colorado State some additional depth on the perimeter with Bejarano, Jon Octeus and Joe DeCiman leading the way.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)