Jun 11, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Following the change in coaches from Cuonzo Martin to Donnie Tyndall, forward A.J. Davis made the decision to leave Tennessee during the spring. Wednesday afternoon it was reported that Davis has found a new school, with the Knoxville News Sentinel reporting that the 6-foot-9 forward has decided to join Donnie Jones’ program at UCF.
Davis played an average of 9.4 minutes per game as a freshman, accounting for 1.3 points and 1.6 rebounds per contest. With the now departed tandem of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon leading the way in the front court last season, the lack of available minutes for Davis was understandable. After sitting out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules, Davis will have three years of eligibility remaining.
At UCF, Davis joins a front court that will have just one senior (Kasey Wilson) entering the 2014-15 season. Wilson averaged 9.6 points and 5.7 rebounds per game in 31 games last season. Among the players with eligibility remaining beyond the upcoming season, rising junior Staphon Blair (4.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg) was the most productive last season.
6-foot-10, 300-pound center Justin McBride averaged 4.4 points and 2.7 rebounds per game but did so in just 15 games of action.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)