Jun 11, 2014, 7:21 PM EST
With Kerry Rupp and Gregg Gottlieb on board, new Oregon State head coach Wayne Tinkle had one assistant coaching position to fill on his staff. And according to a report from Connor Letorneau of The Oregonian, Tinkle has found his man and the decision could potentially prove fruitful on the recruiting trail.
According to the report Tinkle is expected to hire former Cal-State Los Angeles head coach Stephen Thompson, and that name is probably familiar to older college basketball fans given the fact that Thompson played his college basketball for Jim Boeheim at Syracuse. Thompson spent the last nine seasons as the head coach at CSULA, posting a record of 126-120. He was replaced by Dieter Horton this spring.
However those who follow recruiting closely will pay attention to this hire for another reason: Thompson’s son Stephen Jr., who attended Bishop Montgomery HS, is a 6-foot-3 guard considered to be a Top 100 prospect by many of the major scouting services. The elder Thompson’s reported hiring at Oregon State would mean that two members of the staff have sons who are rated as Top 100 prospects, with Tinkle’s son Tres being the other.
Obviously the fact that Tinkle and Thompson are coaching at Oregon State doesn’t guarantee that their sons will put on an OSU jersey. But the possibility is something to be considered, and it’s something that is sure to get Oregon State fans thinking of what could be.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)