Jun 11, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With Marcus Smart heading to the NBA, Markel Brown graduating and a number of players from last year’s team either transferring — like Kamari Murphy — or getting kicked out of the program — like Stevie Clark — Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford had a number of needs to fill this offseason.
It looks like he may be addressing one of them, as a report out of Oklahoma says that the Cowboys are close to landing a commitment from former LSU point guard Anthony Hickey.
Hickey was a three-year starter with the Tigers and one of the better point guards in the SEC the last two years, but he left the program last month. According to The Oklahoman, Hickey should be able to receive immediate eligibility due to a little-known NCAA regulation called the “run-off” waiver. Essentially, if LSU is willing to file documentation saying that Hickey was, essentially, cut by head coach Johnny Jones and that he no longer had a spot on the LSU roster, than the NCAA will allow him to play immediately at his new school.
That’s a key addition for the Pokes as Hickey is a veteran point guard and would compliment JuCo transfer Jeff Newberry well.
Hickey isn’t the only piece that OSU is expected to add, as they received a commitment from Igor Ibaka, the brother of Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Igor played last season at Northeastern Oklahoma, a JuCo, but since he is turning 22 years old this July, he will not be allowed to play this season despite the fact that he needs another year to be academically eligible for Division I. Theoretically, Ibaka will have three seasons of eligibility in Stillwater when he enrolls in 2015-2016, but it’s unclear whether the NCAA will grant him all three seasons.
Igor is a physical and athletic 6-foot-7 forward that was receiving mostly mid-major interest before OSU got involved.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)