Jun 11, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With Marcus Smart heading to the NBA, Markel Brown graduating and a number of players from last year’s team either transferring — like Kamari Murphy — or getting kicked out of the program — like Stevie Clark — Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford had a number of needs to fill this offseason.
It looks like he may be addressing one of them, as a report out of Oklahoma says that the Cowboys are close to landing a commitment from former LSU point guard Anthony Hickey.
Hickey was a three-year starter with the Tigers and one of the better point guards in the SEC the last two years, but he left the program last month. According to The Oklahoman, Hickey should be able to receive immediate eligibility due to a little-known NCAA regulation called the “run-off” waiver. Essentially, if LSU is willing to file documentation saying that Hickey was, essentially, cut by head coach Johnny Jones and that he no longer had a spot on the LSU roster, than the NCAA will allow him to play immediately at his new school.
That’s a key addition for the Pokes as Hickey is a veteran point guard and would compliment JuCo transfer Jeff Newberry well.
Hickey isn’t the only piece that OSU is expected to add, as they received a commitment from Igor Ibaka, the brother of Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Igor played last season at Northeastern Oklahoma, a JuCo, but since he is turning 22 years old this July, he will not be allowed to play this season despite the fact that he needs another year to be academically eligible for Division I. Theoretically, Ibaka will have three seasons of eligibility in Stillwater when he enrolls in 2015-2016, but it’s unclear whether the NCAA will grant him all three seasons.
Igor is a physical and athletic 6-foot-7 forward that was receiving mostly mid-major interest before OSU got involved.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)