Jun 11, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With Marcus Smart heading to the NBA, Markel Brown graduating and a number of players from last year’s team either transferring — like Kamari Murphy — or getting kicked out of the program — like Stevie Clark — Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford had a number of needs to fill this offseason.
It looks like he may be addressing one of them, as a report out of Oklahoma says that the Cowboys are close to landing a commitment from former LSU point guard Anthony Hickey.
Hickey was a three-year starter with the Tigers and one of the better point guards in the SEC the last two years, but he left the program last month. According to The Oklahoman, Hickey should be able to receive immediate eligibility due to a little-known NCAA regulation called the “run-off” waiver. Essentially, if LSU is willing to file documentation saying that Hickey was, essentially, cut by head coach Johnny Jones and that he no longer had a spot on the LSU roster, than the NCAA will allow him to play immediately at his new school.
That’s a key addition for the Pokes as Hickey is a veteran point guard and would compliment JuCo transfer Jeff Newberry well.
Hickey isn’t the only piece that OSU is expected to add, as they received a commitment from Igor Ibaka, the brother of Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Igor played last season at Northeastern Oklahoma, a JuCo, but since he is turning 22 years old this July, he will not be allowed to play this season despite the fact that he needs another year to be academically eligible for Division I. Theoretically, Ibaka will have three seasons of eligibility in Stillwater when he enrolls in 2015-2016, but it’s unclear whether the NCAA will grant him all three seasons.
Igor is a physical and athletic 6-foot-7 forward that was receiving mostly mid-major interest before OSU got involved.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)