Jun 12, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will be hosting two in-season tournaments during the 2014-15 season, with BD Global announcing six of the eight teams that will participate in the MGM Grand Main Event in late November. The four teams in the main bracket, who will meet in the semifinals on November 24, are Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa.
The championship and third place games will be played on November 26.
Each of those four teams will play two home games prior to their two games in Las Vegas, with Louisiana and Milwaukee being the two “travel” teams known at this point in time. The other two “travel” teams will be announced at a later date, and of the four “host” programs only Auburn knows its two pre-Las Vegas match-ups.
The Tigers, now led by head coach Bruce Pearl, will host Milwaukee on November 14 and Louisiana on November 21.
Of the four host schools two, Oklahoma State and Tulsa, reached the NCAA tournament last season and both Milwaukee and Louisiana were members of the 68-team field as well. And of the four programs three will have new head coaches, with Oregon State (Wayne Tinkle) and Tulsa (Frank Haith) joining Auburn as teams playing for leaders who were not in charge a season ago.
This is the first of two in-season events to be played at the MGM Grand Garden Arena next season, with the second annual MGM Grand Showcase scheduled for December 20. Oklahoma vs. Washington and UNLV vs. Utah are the two match-ups in that one-day event.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)