Jun 12, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will be hosting two in-season tournaments during the 2014-15 season, with BD Global announcing six of the eight teams that will participate in the MGM Grand Main Event in late November. The four teams in the main bracket, who will meet in the semifinals on November 24, are Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa.
The championship and third place games will be played on November 26.
Each of those four teams will play two home games prior to their two games in Las Vegas, with Louisiana and Milwaukee being the two “travel” teams known at this point in time. The other two “travel” teams will be announced at a later date, and of the four “host” programs only Auburn knows its two pre-Las Vegas match-ups.
The Tigers, now led by head coach Bruce Pearl, will host Milwaukee on November 14 and Louisiana on November 21.
Of the four host schools two, Oklahoma State and Tulsa, reached the NCAA tournament last season and both Milwaukee and Louisiana were members of the 68-team field as well. And of the four programs three will have new head coaches, with Oregon State (Wayne Tinkle) and Tulsa (Frank Haith) joining Auburn as teams playing for leaders who were not in charge a season ago.
This is the first of two in-season events to be played at the MGM Grand Garden Arena next season, with the second annual MGM Grand Showcase scheduled for December 20. Oklahoma vs. Washington and UNLV vs. Utah are the two match-ups in that one-day event.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)