Jun 12, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Remember Leticia Romero?
The Canary Islands-native was one of the best freshman in women’s college basketball last season, but she was held hostage for a couple of months by Kansas State when she decided that she wanted to transfer out of the program when the coaching staff was fired.
It made national headlines earlier this spring, generating mountains of negative publicity for Kansas State in the process.
All for a women’s basketball player who, while quite talented, isn’t going to be making headlines.
Here’s how irrelevant that transfer would have been if Kansas State hadn’t decided they were going to try and bully Romero into staying in Manhattan: On Monday, Florida State announced that Romero had signed on with the program.
It’s Thursday today. I know the World Cup is just kicking off and the NBA Finals are in full swing, but that doesn’t change the fact that you haven’t heard a mumbling word about Romero’s decision until now.
“Leticia is a significant addition to Florida State Women’s Basketball,” FSU coach Sue Semrau said in a statement released by FSU. “She has already proven that she is a tremendous player at this level. She led her team in 10 statistical categories as a freshman in the Big 12. We’re looking forward to Leti being an integral part of the Seminole family.”
Memo to all athletic departments: Just save yourself the embarrassment and negative headlines and give your athletes a release when they ask for it.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)