Jun 12, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Remember Leticia Romero?
The Canary Islands-native was one of the best freshman in women’s college basketball last season, but she was held hostage for a couple of months by Kansas State when she decided that she wanted to transfer out of the program when the coaching staff was fired.
It made national headlines earlier this spring, generating mountains of negative publicity for Kansas State in the process.
All for a women’s basketball player who, while quite talented, isn’t going to be making headlines.
Here’s how irrelevant that transfer would have been if Kansas State hadn’t decided they were going to try and bully Romero into staying in Manhattan: On Monday, Florida State announced that Romero had signed on with the program.
It’s Thursday today. I know the World Cup is just kicking off and the NBA Finals are in full swing, but that doesn’t change the fact that you haven’t heard a mumbling word about Romero’s decision until now.
“Leticia is a significant addition to Florida State Women’s Basketball,” FSU coach Sue Semrau said in a statement released by FSU. “She has already proven that she is a tremendous player at this level. She led her team in 10 statistical categories as a freshman in the Big 12. We’re looking forward to Leti being an integral part of the Seminole family.”
Memo to all athletic departments: Just save yourself the embarrassment and negative headlines and give your athletes a release when they ask for it.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)