Jun 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
After winning Southern Conference Freshman of the Year honors this past season, Samford guard Isaiah Williams joined the list of players who would leave the program during Bennie Seltzer’s two seasons at the helm (14 in total). Thursday afternoon it was reported that Williams has found a new school, with the Georgia native deciding to transfer to Georgia State.
Williams, who scored 11.9 points and 3.4 assists per game last season, will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules but that’s unlikely to be a concern for Georgia State head coach Ron Hunter. Why? The Panthers, who reached the title game of the Sun Belt tournament (falling to Louisiana in overtime) and won the league regular season title, return both R.J. Hunter and Ryan Harrow from that team.
Hunter and Harrow combined to average 36.1 points per game last season, and their return is important for a team that loses forward Manny Atkins and guard Devonta White. Georgia State adds Louisville transfer Kevin Ware, who is hoping to receive a waiver that would allow him to play immediately, while it is expected that Indiana transfer Jeremy Hollowell will have to sit out the upcoming season.
Williams’ arrival comes days after it was reported that backup point guard Jaylen Hinton would be transferring.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)