Jun 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
After winning Southern Conference Freshman of the Year honors this past season, Samford guard Isaiah Williams joined the list of players who would leave the program during Bennie Seltzer’s two seasons at the helm (14 in total). Thursday afternoon it was reported that Williams has found a new school, with the Georgia native deciding to transfer to Georgia State.
Williams, who scored 11.9 points and 3.4 assists per game last season, will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules but that’s unlikely to be a concern for Georgia State head coach Ron Hunter. Why? The Panthers, who reached the title game of the Sun Belt tournament (falling to Louisiana in overtime) and won the league regular season title, return both R.J. Hunter and Ryan Harrow from that team.
Hunter and Harrow combined to average 36.1 points per game last season, and their return is important for a team that loses forward Manny Atkins and guard Devonta White. Georgia State adds Louisville transfer Kevin Ware, who is hoping to receive a waiver that would allow him to play immediately, while it is expected that Indiana transfer Jeremy Hollowell will have to sit out the upcoming season.
Williams’ arrival comes days after it was reported that backup point guard Jaylen Hinton would be transferring.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)