Jun 12, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
South Carolina signee and incoming freshman James Thompson was arrested on charges of domestic abuse by battery and aggravated battery in his native Louisiana, the Times-Picayune is reporting.
Thompson is a 6-foot-9 forward from Baton Rouge and was listed as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com.
The arrest stems from a second incident involving Thompson’s girlfriend, both of which stemmed from arguments over the alleged victim’s Instagram page. According to the arrest report that was obtained by the paper, in August of 2013 Thompson and his girlfriend had a heated argument that turned into a physical altercation, resulting in Thompson throwing a phone at his girlfriend, giving her a black eye, and kicking her while she was on the floor.
On June 4th, the two had another altercation. The police report states that Thompson “punched the victim in the eye, slapped her in the face several times and threw things at her again, causing pain and bruises to her chin, on her leg, her eye and to the back of her right thigh”. All over a comment on her Instagram page.
Thompson claims that the second incident was only a verbal altercation and that there was no physical violence, although he admitted to throwing the phone at her.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0