Jun 12, 2014, 3:25 PM EST
South Carolina signee and incoming freshman James Thompson was arrested on charges of domestic abuse by battery and aggravated battery in his native Louisiana, the Times-Picayune is reporting.
Thompson is a 6-foot-9 forward from Baton Rouge and was listed as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com.
The arrest stems from a second incident involving Thompson’s girlfriend, both of which stemmed from arguments over the alleged victim’s Instagram page. According to the arrest report that was obtained by the paper, in August of 2013 Thompson and his girlfriend had a heated argument that turned into a physical altercation, resulting in Thompson throwing a phone at his girlfriend, giving her a black eye, and kicking her while she was on the floor.
On June 4th, the two had another altercation. The police report states that Thompson “punched the victim in the eye, slapped her in the face several times and threw things at her again, causing pain and bruises to her chin, on her leg, her eye and to the back of her right thigh”. All over a comment on her Instagram page.
Thompson claims that the second incident was only a verbal altercation and that there was no physical violence, although he admitted to throwing the phone at her.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)