Jun 12, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
South Carolina signee and incoming freshman James Thompson was arrested on charges of domestic abuse by battery and aggravated battery in his native Louisiana, the Times-Picayune is reporting.
Thompson is a 6-foot-9 forward from Baton Rouge and was listed as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com.
The arrest stems from a second incident involving Thompson’s girlfriend, both of which stemmed from arguments over the alleged victim’s Instagram page. According to the arrest report that was obtained by the paper, in August of 2013 Thompson and his girlfriend had a heated argument that turned into a physical altercation, resulting in Thompson throwing a phone at his girlfriend, giving her a black eye, and kicking her while she was on the floor.
On June 4th, the two had another altercation. The police report states that Thompson “punched the victim in the eye, slapped her in the face several times and threw things at her again, causing pain and bruises to her chin, on her leg, her eye and to the back of her right thigh”. All over a comment on her Instagram page.
Thompson claims that the second incident was only a verbal altercation and that there was no physical violence, although he admitted to throwing the phone at her.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)