Jun 12, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
South Carolina signee and incoming freshman James Thompson was arrested on charges of domestic abuse by battery and aggravated battery in his native Louisiana, the Times-Picayune is reporting.
Thompson is a 6-foot-9 forward from Baton Rouge and was listed as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com.
The arrest stems from a second incident involving Thompson’s girlfriend, both of which stemmed from arguments over the alleged victim’s Instagram page. According to the arrest report that was obtained by the paper, in August of 2013 Thompson and his girlfriend had a heated argument that turned into a physical altercation, resulting in Thompson throwing a phone at his girlfriend, giving her a black eye, and kicking her while she was on the floor.
On June 4th, the two had another altercation. The police report states that Thompson “punched the victim in the eye, slapped her in the face several times and threw things at her again, causing pain and bruises to her chin, on her leg, her eye and to the back of her right thigh”. All over a comment on her Instagram page.
Thompson claims that the second incident was only a verbal altercation and that there was no physical violence, although he admitted to throwing the phone at her.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)