Jun 13, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
After a successful late-season surge in the Big Sky, Eastern Washington announced a new five-year deal for head coach Jim Hayford on Friday. The Eagles finished 15-16 overall and 10-10 in the Big Sky last season but the program went 7-4 in its last 11 league games without a single senior on the roster.
Eastern Washington hadn’t reached the 15-win mark since the 2003-04 season and Hayford is 40-54 in three seasons at the helm.
The new deal for Hayford scraps the remaining two years of the coach’s original five-year contract and runs through the 2018-19 season.
“I am very grateful to Dr. Arevalo and Bill Chaves for this new contract,” said Hayford in the release. “I am very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the Eastern men’s basketball program and lead us into new seasons of success.”
The Eagles will be led by rising juniors Tyler Harvey and Venky Jois in the 2014-15 season. The 6-foot-4 Harvey is coming off of an All-Big Sky First Team selection after averaging 21.8 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game while the 6-foot-7 Jois averaged 13.4 points and eight rebounds per game last season.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)