Jun 13, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
After a successful late-season surge in the Big Sky, Eastern Washington announced a new five-year deal for head coach Jim Hayford on Friday. The Eagles finished 15-16 overall and 10-10 in the Big Sky last season but the program went 7-4 in its last 11 league games without a single senior on the roster.
Eastern Washington hadn’t reached the 15-win mark since the 2003-04 season and Hayford is 40-54 in three seasons at the helm.
The new deal for Hayford scraps the remaining two years of the coach’s original five-year contract and runs through the 2018-19 season.
“I am very grateful to Dr. Arevalo and Bill Chaves for this new contract,” said Hayford in the release. “I am very thankful to have the opportunity to coach and direct the Eastern men’s basketball program and lead us into new seasons of success.”
The Eagles will be led by rising juniors Tyler Harvey and Venky Jois in the 2014-15 season. The 6-foot-4 Harvey is coming off of an All-Big Sky First Team selection after averaging 21.8 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game while the 6-foot-7 Jois averaged 13.4 points and eight rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)