Jun 13, 2014, 1:23 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Florida A&M, which relieved Clemon Johnson of his head coach duties in mid-April, has completed its head coaching search with the school announcing Thursday night that Byron Samuels has been hired. Samuels served as basketball operations coordinator at Georgia last season, and this will be his third head coaching job at the Division I level.
Samuels, who was also an assistant on Jerry Green’s staff at Tennessee from 1997-2001, served as head coach at Hampton from 1995-97 and at Radford from 2002-07. Samuels posted a record of 75-123 at those two stops, with Hampton going through the process of transitioning to the Division I level at the time.
Samuels will have his work cut out for him at Florida A&M next season, with the Rattlers losing leading scorers Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg, 3.7 apg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg). In total FAMU will have to account for the departure of six graduating seniors.
Florida A&M filling its vacancy means that two Division I head coaching jobs remain open: Marist, which recently lost Jeff Bower to the Detroit Pistons (general manager), and Mississippi Valley State.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)