Jun 13, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Florida A&M, which relieved Clemon Johnson of his head coach duties in mid-April, has completed its head coaching search with the school announcing Thursday night that Byron Samuels has been hired. Samuels served as basketball operations coordinator at Georgia last season, and this will be his third head coaching job at the Division I level.
Samuels, who was also an assistant on Jerry Green’s staff at Tennessee from 1997-2001, served as head coach at Hampton from 1995-97 and at Radford from 2002-07. Samuels posted a record of 75-123 at those two stops, with Hampton going through the process of transitioning to the Division I level at the time.
Samuels will have his work cut out for him at Florida A&M next season, with the Rattlers losing leading scorers Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg, 3.7 apg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg). In total FAMU will have to account for the departure of six graduating seniors.
Florida A&M filling its vacancy means that two Division I head coaching jobs remain open: Marist, which recently lost Jeff Bower to the Detroit Pistons (general manager), and Mississippi Valley State.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)