Jun 13, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Florida A&M, which relieved Clemon Johnson of his head coach duties in mid-April, has completed its head coaching search with the school announcing Thursday night that Byron Samuels has been hired. Samuels served as basketball operations coordinator at Georgia last season, and this will be his third head coaching job at the Division I level.
Samuels, who was also an assistant on Jerry Green’s staff at Tennessee from 1997-2001, served as head coach at Hampton from 1995-97 and at Radford from 2002-07. Samuels posted a record of 75-123 at those two stops, with Hampton going through the process of transitioning to the Division I level at the time.
Samuels will have his work cut out for him at Florida A&M next season, with the Rattlers losing leading scorers Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg, 3.7 apg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg). In total FAMU will have to account for the departure of six graduating seniors.
Florida A&M filling its vacancy means that two Division I head coaching jobs remain open: Marist, which recently lost Jeff Bower to the Detroit Pistons (general manager), and Mississippi Valley State.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)