Jun 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
La Salle landed a late 2014 commitment when Ukrainian forward Yevgen Sakhniuk committed to the Explorers, according to a release from his club program, Get Better Academy.
The 6-foot-7 Sakhniuk is a member of Ukraine’s U20 national team and played with GBA Sparta out of the Czech Republic last season. Sakhniuk also played for Ukraine’s U16 and U18 teams the last few years.
The 19-year-old Sakhniuk spoke about playing with Get Better Academy and how he came to his decision to play for La Salle in an interview on the club’s website.
“The impact was big, (GBA coach Julian Betko) has played already in NCAA and he has experience in terms of knowing colleges and coaches, basic on the conversation and research about La Salle University and their coach, who is great coach in my opinion and the coach who can continue make me better in NCAA and helping to achieve my goals in future,” Sakhniuk said.
Sakhniuk averaged 16 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.5 blocks per game in four games against American high school competition with Get Better Academy during the NPSI in February.
The forward joins Washington D.C. native and point guard Johnnie Shuler in La Salle’s 2014 class.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)