Jun 14, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
One of the more intriguing non-conference home-and-home series for next season was announced on Saturday as CBSSports.com‘s Jon Rothstein reported that Cincinnati and San Diego State will matchup beginning during the 2014-15 season.
The Bearcats will host the Aztecs in Cincinnati on 12/17/14 and Mick Cronin’s squad will travel out west to San Diego for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State is coming off of a Sweet 16 appearance in 2014 and is currently ranked as the No. 9 team in CBT’s Preseason Top 25 for 2014-15. Although the Aztecs lose Xavier Thames, they’ll have a lot of young talent in place to still be a major threat in the Mountain West while also having even larger aspirations.
Cincinnati loses Sean Kilpatrick, Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles from a 2014 season that saw them lose in the Round of 64 to Harvard in the dreaded 5-12 matchup. Still, Cronin has done a nice job of reloading each season and keeping Cincinnati competitive and the Bearcats should still rebound, defend and play with toughness.
Non-conference matchups like this aren’t great for developing regional rivalries that fans enjoy, but it is fun to see two teams from completely different regions of the country face-off.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)