Jun 14, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
One of the more intriguing non-conference home-and-home series for next season was announced on Saturday as CBSSports.com‘s Jon Rothstein reported that Cincinnati and San Diego State will matchup beginning during the 2014-15 season.
The Bearcats will host the Aztecs in Cincinnati on 12/17/14 and Mick Cronin’s squad will travel out west to San Diego for the 2015-16 season.
San Diego State is coming off of a Sweet 16 appearance in 2014 and is currently ranked as the No. 9 team in CBT’s Preseason Top 25 for 2014-15. Although the Aztecs lose Xavier Thames, they’ll have a lot of young talent in place to still be a major threat in the Mountain West while also having even larger aspirations.
Cincinnati loses Sean Kilpatrick, Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles from a 2014 season that saw them lose in the Round of 64 to Harvard in the dreaded 5-12 matchup. Still, Cronin has done a nice job of reloading each season and keeping Cincinnati competitive and the Bearcats should still rebound, defend and play with toughness.
Non-conference matchups like this aren’t great for developing regional rivalries that fans enjoy, but it is fun to see two teams from completely different regions of the country face-off.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)