Jun 14, 2014, 12:24 PM EST
Drexel added some size for next season as the Dragons picked up a commitment from UCLA graduate transfer Sooren Derboghosian on Saturday. The news was first reported by Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love.
A 6-foot-10 native of Iran, Derboghosian never saw the floor for UCLA this season and only earned seven minutes of playing time in the 2012-13 season after transferring from Glendale Community College.
During his sophomore season at Glendale — his last full year of playing time — Derboghosian averaged 9.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game and had double-digit rebounds in 20 consecutive games. The big man also shot 54 percent from the field and 65 percent from the free-throw line.
In his four games during the 2012-13 season at UCLA, Derboghosian made his only attempted field goal and grabbed one rebound, assisted on one play and blocked one shot. The big man also has international playing experience on the Iranian national team as Derboghosian played on the U14 team through the U20 team. He was invited to tryout for the senior national team during his time at UCLA but couldn’t make the tryout due to his obligations at school.
Derboghosian is eligible immediately for Drexel and will provide some additional size and depth, even if he’s a bit of an unknown at the Division I level.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)