Jun 14, 2014, 12:24 PM EST
Drexel added some size for next season as the Dragons picked up a commitment from UCLA graduate transfer Sooren Derboghosian on Saturday. The news was first reported by Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love.
A 6-foot-10 native of Iran, Derboghosian never saw the floor for UCLA this season and only earned seven minutes of playing time in the 2012-13 season after transferring from Glendale Community College.
During his sophomore season at Glendale — his last full year of playing time — Derboghosian averaged 9.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game and had double-digit rebounds in 20 consecutive games. The big man also shot 54 percent from the field and 65 percent from the free-throw line.
In his four games during the 2012-13 season at UCLA, Derboghosian made his only attempted field goal and grabbed one rebound, assisted on one play and blocked one shot. The big man also has international playing experience on the Iranian national team as Derboghosian played on the U14 team through the U20 team. He was invited to tryout for the senior national team during his time at UCLA but couldn’t make the tryout due to his obligations at school.
Derboghosian is eligible immediately for Drexel and will provide some additional size and depth, even if he’s a bit of an unknown at the Division I level.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)