Jun 14, 2014, 12:24 PM EST
Drexel added some size for next season as the Dragons picked up a commitment from UCLA graduate transfer Sooren Derboghosian on Saturday. The news was first reported by Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love.
A 6-foot-10 native of Iran, Derboghosian never saw the floor for UCLA this season and only earned seven minutes of playing time in the 2012-13 season after transferring from Glendale Community College.
During his sophomore season at Glendale — his last full year of playing time — Derboghosian averaged 9.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game and had double-digit rebounds in 20 consecutive games. The big man also shot 54 percent from the field and 65 percent from the free-throw line.
In his four games during the 2012-13 season at UCLA, Derboghosian made his only attempted field goal and grabbed one rebound, assisted on one play and blocked one shot. The big man also has international playing experience on the Iranian national team as Derboghosian played on the U14 team through the U20 team. He was invited to tryout for the senior national team during his time at UCLA but couldn’t make the tryout due to his obligations at school.
Derboghosian is eligible immediately for Drexel and will provide some additional size and depth, even if he’s a bit of an unknown at the Division I level.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)