Jun 14, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Iowa State has had a couple off-the-court incidents this offseason as freshman guard Matt Thomas became the second Cyclone to be arrested for OWI, according to a report from Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
The 19-year-old Thomas was charged with first offense OWI early Saturday morning, according to a report filed by Ames police. Thomas was stopped by Ames police at 1:49 a.m. Saturday in Ames for having an improper break light, for which Thomas was also cited.
Peterson reports that an athletic department spokesperson said that Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg “is aware of the situation.” The school offered no additional comment on the matter.
Iowa State wing Abdel Nader was also arrested this offseason for OWI and both players have been suspended indefinitely according to the school’s student-athlete code of conduct.
The 6-foot-3 Thomas started 15 games during his freshman season at Iowa State, averaging 5.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in a little over 21 minutes a game. Although Thomas was a great perimeter shooter in high school, he struggled to find his shot during his freshman year, as he shot 36 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)