Jun 14, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Iowa State has had a couple off-the-court incidents this offseason as freshman guard Matt Thomas became the second Cyclone to be arrested for OWI, according to a report from Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
The 19-year-old Thomas was charged with first offense OWI early Saturday morning, according to a report filed by Ames police. Thomas was stopped by Ames police at 1:49 a.m. Saturday in Ames for having an improper break light, for which Thomas was also cited.
Peterson reports that an athletic department spokesperson said that Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg “is aware of the situation.” The school offered no additional comment on the matter.
Iowa State wing Abdel Nader was also arrested this offseason for OWI and both players have been suspended indefinitely according to the school’s student-athlete code of conduct.
The 6-foot-3 Thomas started 15 games during his freshman season at Iowa State, averaging 5.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in a little over 21 minutes a game. Although Thomas was a great perimeter shooter in high school, he struggled to find his shot during his freshman year, as he shot 36 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)