Jun 14, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Iowa State has had a couple off-the-court incidents this offseason as freshman guard Matt Thomas became the second Cyclone to be arrested for OWI, according to a report from Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
The 19-year-old Thomas was charged with first offense OWI early Saturday morning, according to a report filed by Ames police. Thomas was stopped by Ames police at 1:49 a.m. Saturday in Ames for having an improper break light, for which Thomas was also cited.
Peterson reports that an athletic department spokesperson said that Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg “is aware of the situation.” The school offered no additional comment on the matter.
Iowa State wing Abdel Nader was also arrested this offseason for OWI and both players have been suspended indefinitely according to the school’s student-athlete code of conduct.
The 6-foot-3 Thomas started 15 games during his freshman season at Iowa State, averaging 5.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in a little over 21 minutes a game. Although Thomas was a great perimeter shooter in high school, he struggled to find his shot during his freshman year, as he shot 36 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)