Jun 14, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Iowa State has had a couple off-the-court incidents this offseason as freshman guard Matt Thomas became the second Cyclone to be arrested for OWI, according to a report from Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
The 19-year-old Thomas was charged with first offense OWI early Saturday morning, according to a report filed by Ames police. Thomas was stopped by Ames police at 1:49 a.m. Saturday in Ames for having an improper break light, for which Thomas was also cited.
Peterson reports that an athletic department spokesperson said that Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg “is aware of the situation.” The school offered no additional comment on the matter.
Iowa State wing Abdel Nader was also arrested this offseason for OWI and both players have been suspended indefinitely according to the school’s student-athlete code of conduct.
The 6-foot-3 Thomas started 15 games during his freshman season at Iowa State, averaging 5.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in a little over 21 minutes a game. Although Thomas was a great perimeter shooter in high school, he struggled to find his shot during his freshman year, as he shot 36 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)