Jun 14, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Iowa State has had a couple off-the-court incidents this offseason as freshman guard Matt Thomas became the second Cyclone to be arrested for OWI, according to a report from Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
The 19-year-old Thomas was charged with first offense OWI early Saturday morning, according to a report filed by Ames police. Thomas was stopped by Ames police at 1:49 a.m. Saturday in Ames for having an improper break light, for which Thomas was also cited.
Peterson reports that an athletic department spokesperson said that Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg “is aware of the situation.” The school offered no additional comment on the matter.
Iowa State wing Abdel Nader was also arrested this offseason for OWI and both players have been suspended indefinitely according to the school’s student-athlete code of conduct.
The 6-foot-3 Thomas started 15 games during his freshman season at Iowa State, averaging 5.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in a little over 21 minutes a game. Although Thomas was a great perimeter shooter in high school, he struggled to find his shot during his freshman year, as he shot 36 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three-point line.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)