Jun 15, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s been a difficult offseason for Travis Ford and the Oklahoma State basketball program.
The back court is going through a major overhaul with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Stevie Clark and Brian Williams all leaving the program while four-star guard Jared Terrell requested his release before arriving on campus. The front court took its blow as well when Kamari Murphy left the Cowboys for Miami.
Ford, who is entering his seventh season in Stillwater, could be getting a starter back on the floor next month. According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, Michael Cobbins could rejoin offseason workouts by mid-July.
The 6-foot-8 Cobbins averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game through the first 13 games of the season. On Dec. 30, in a win over Robert Morris, Cobbins torn his Achilles tendon, requiring season-ending surgery. Murphy replaced Cobbins in the starting lineup, but the sophomore transferred out of the program in early May.
This update on Cobbins’ recovery is another positive story to come out of the program this week. On Wednesday, a report surfaced that former LSU guard Anthony Hickey had enrolled in summer classes at Oklahoma State. He will seek immediate eligibility under the “run-off” waiver.
Oklahoma State finished 21-13 (8-10 Big 12) with a second consecutive exit in the Round of 64. Despite the list of departures, Le’Bryan Nash and Phil Forte are back for the Cowboys.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 2
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)