Jun 15, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
It’s been a difficult offseason for Travis Ford and the Oklahoma State basketball program.
The back court is going through a major overhaul with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Stevie Clark and Brian Williams all leaving the program while four-star guard Jared Terrell requested his release before arriving on campus. The front court took its blow as well when Kamari Murphy left the Cowboys for Miami.
Ford, who is entering his seventh season in Stillwater, could be getting a starter back on the floor next month. According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, Michael Cobbins could rejoin offseason workouts by mid-July.
The 6-foot-8 Cobbins averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game through the first 13 games of the season. On Dec. 30, in a win over Robert Morris, Cobbins torn his Achilles tendon, requiring season-ending surgery. Murphy replaced Cobbins in the starting lineup, but the sophomore transferred out of the program in early May.
This update on Cobbins’ recovery is another positive story to come out of the program this week. On Wednesday, a report surfaced that former LSU guard Anthony Hickey had enrolled in summer classes at Oklahoma State. He will seek immediate eligibility under the “run-off” waiver.
Oklahoma State finished 21-13 (8-10 Big 12) with a second consecutive exit in the Round of 64. Despite the list of departures, Le’Bryan Nash and Phil Forte are back for the Cowboys.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)