Jun 15, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s been a difficult offseason for Travis Ford and the Oklahoma State basketball program.
The back court is going through a major overhaul with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Stevie Clark and Brian Williams all leaving the program while four-star guard Jared Terrell requested his release before arriving on campus. The front court took its blow as well when Kamari Murphy left the Cowboys for Miami.
Ford, who is entering his seventh season in Stillwater, could be getting a starter back on the floor next month. According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, Michael Cobbins could rejoin offseason workouts by mid-July.
The 6-foot-8 Cobbins averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game through the first 13 games of the season. On Dec. 30, in a win over Robert Morris, Cobbins torn his Achilles tendon, requiring season-ending surgery. Murphy replaced Cobbins in the starting lineup, but the sophomore transferred out of the program in early May.
This update on Cobbins’ recovery is another positive story to come out of the program this week. On Wednesday, a report surfaced that former LSU guard Anthony Hickey had enrolled in summer classes at Oklahoma State. He will seek immediate eligibility under the “run-off” waiver.
Oklahoma State finished 21-13 (8-10 Big 12) with a second consecutive exit in the Round of 64. Despite the list of departures, Le’Bryan Nash and Phil Forte are back for the Cowboys.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)