Jun 15, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
On Sunday morning, USA Basketball announced its 12-man roster for the U18 national team competing in the 2014 FIBA Americas Championship.
The roster includes a pair of Duke signees, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow. Both of them have experience with USA Basketball. Jones sparked his friendship with future teammate Jahlil Okafor through international play, and has won gold medals with the U16 and U17 teams. Winslow will be suiting up for the U18 team after winning gold with the U19 team in 2013. Arizona commit Stanley Johnson has also played for the national team for several years.
The team is coached by Florida head coach Billy Donovan. His coaching staff includes Providence’s Ed Cooley and Arizona’s Sean Miller
“I’m really excited about the team. As it is every year, it was a really hard selection process because only 12 guys can be on the team. We just tried not necessarily to take the 12 best players, we tried to take the guys that were going to make up the best team,” Donovan said in a statement.. “We had the chance to look at this group for almost a week and all of them worked very, very hard. It’s never easy when you’ve got to get down to 12 guys because for as hard as everybody has worked you almost want everybody to be on the team, but it doesn’t work like that so it’s always a challenge.”
Here is the full roster:
- Isaiah Briscoe; Roselle Catholic H.S. ’15 / Union, N.J.
- Jaylen Brown; Wheeler H.S. / Alpharetta, Ga.
- Jalen Brunson; Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. ’15 / Lincolnshire, Ill.
- Stanley Johnson; Arizona ’14 / Fullerton, Calif.
- Tyus Jones; Duke ’14 / Apple Valley, Minn.
- Luke Kennard; Franklin H.S. ’15 / Franklin, Ohio (Duke)
- Tyler Lydon; New Hampton School ’15 / Elizaville, N.Y.
- Dwayne Morgan; UNLV ’14 / Baltimore, Md.
- Allonzo Trier; Montrose Christian ’15 / Seattle, Wash.
- Myles Turner; Texas ’14 / Bedford, Texas
- Justise Winslow; Duke ’14 / Houston, Texas
- Stephen Zimmerman; Bishop Gorman H.S. ’15 / Las Vegas, Nev.
USA Basketball will continue its training through June 19. The 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship takes place on from June 20-24 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 1
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)