Jun 15, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
On Sunday morning, USA Basketball announced its 12-man roster for the U18 national team competing in the 2014 FIBA Americas Championship.
The roster includes a pair of Duke signees, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow. Both of them have experience with USA Basketball. Jones sparked his friendship with future teammate Jahlil Okafor through international play, and has won gold medals with the U16 and U17 teams. Winslow will be suiting up for the U18 team after winning gold with the U19 team in 2013. Arizona commit Stanley Johnson has also played for the national team for several years.
The team is coached by Florida head coach Billy Donovan. His coaching staff includes Providence’s Ed Cooley and Arizona’s Sean Miller
“I’m really excited about the team. As it is every year, it was a really hard selection process because only 12 guys can be on the team. We just tried not necessarily to take the 12 best players, we tried to take the guys that were going to make up the best team,” Donovan said in a statement.. “We had the chance to look at this group for almost a week and all of them worked very, very hard. It’s never easy when you’ve got to get down to 12 guys because for as hard as everybody has worked you almost want everybody to be on the team, but it doesn’t work like that so it’s always a challenge.”
Here is the full roster:
- Isaiah Briscoe; Roselle Catholic H.S. ’15 / Union, N.J.
- Jaylen Brown; Wheeler H.S. / Alpharetta, Ga.
- Jalen Brunson; Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. ’15 / Lincolnshire, Ill.
- Stanley Johnson; Arizona ’14 / Fullerton, Calif.
- Tyus Jones; Duke ’14 / Apple Valley, Minn.
- Luke Kennard; Franklin H.S. ’15 / Franklin, Ohio (Duke)
- Tyler Lydon; New Hampton School ’15 / Elizaville, N.Y.
- Dwayne Morgan; UNLV ’14 / Baltimore, Md.
- Allonzo Trier; Montrose Christian ’15 / Seattle, Wash.
- Myles Turner; Texas ’14 / Bedford, Texas
- Justise Winslow; Duke ’14 / Houston, Texas
- Stephen Zimmerman; Bishop Gorman H.S. ’15 / Las Vegas, Nev.
USA Basketball will continue its training through June 19. The 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship takes place on from June 20-24 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
The Vandy coach was quick to apology following last night’s incident.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
Derrick Walton Jr. hasn’t played in just over a month, but he’s still bothered by an issue with his right foot.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Floyd was ejected with 10:05 remaining in the Miners’ 77-60 loss at Louisiana Tech, and he failed to leave the court in a timely manner.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
Billy Donovan would like to see his veteran forward make some strides in the commitment department moving forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
On the heels of St. John’s last NCAA appearance in 2011, seven players joined the program. Three remain, and their aim is to get to the Big Dance as seniors.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Also of note is the second meeting of the season between rivals Iona and Manhattan.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Shooting 7-for-10 from three over the last two games, Gabe York has hit multiple three-pointers in consecutive games for the first time since mid-December. That’s a good development for Arizona.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EST
While the Wildcats continue to roll along, other one-seeds are up for discussion as the season moves into the month of March.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Leading by six with 34 seconds remaining in regulation, Michigan State looked to be on their way to a home win over Minnesota. Then they fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 AM EST
I hope you’re ready for a thrilling day of hoops.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:31 AM EST
Michigan State fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions late in regulation, and it set the stage for an overtime loss at home.
Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV
Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 PM EST
The Vandy freshman taunted a Tennessee player as time expired in the Commodores’ win, and his head coach read him the riot act in the handshake line.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EST
Who were the winners and the losers on the bubble on Thursday?
Feb 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EST
Tate scored a career-high 22 points Thursday night, and his move into the starting lineup has helped Ohio State.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Five year-old Nicholas Wince spent the entire day with West Virginia prior to their win over Texas, signing a National Letter of Intent as well.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)