Jun 15, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
On Sunday morning, USA Basketball announced its 12-man roster for the U18 national team competing in the 2014 FIBA Americas Championship.
The roster includes a pair of Duke signees, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow. Both of them have experience with USA Basketball. Jones sparked his friendship with future teammate Jahlil Okafor through international play, and has won gold medals with the U16 and U17 teams. Winslow will be suiting up for the U18 team after winning gold with the U19 team in 2013. Arizona commit Stanley Johnson has also played for the national team for several years.
The team is coached by Florida head coach Billy Donovan. His coaching staff includes Providence’s Ed Cooley and Arizona’s Sean Miller
“I’m really excited about the team. As it is every year, it was a really hard selection process because only 12 guys can be on the team. We just tried not necessarily to take the 12 best players, we tried to take the guys that were going to make up the best team,” Donovan said in a statement.. “We had the chance to look at this group for almost a week and all of them worked very, very hard. It’s never easy when you’ve got to get down to 12 guys because for as hard as everybody has worked you almost want everybody to be on the team, but it doesn’t work like that so it’s always a challenge.”
Here is the full roster:
- Isaiah Briscoe; Roselle Catholic H.S. ’15 / Union, N.J.
- Jaylen Brown; Wheeler H.S. / Alpharetta, Ga.
- Jalen Brunson; Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. ’15 / Lincolnshire, Ill.
- Stanley Johnson; Arizona ’14 / Fullerton, Calif.
- Tyus Jones; Duke ’14 / Apple Valley, Minn.
- Luke Kennard; Franklin H.S. ’15 / Franklin, Ohio (Duke)
- Tyler Lydon; New Hampton School ’15 / Elizaville, N.Y.
- Dwayne Morgan; UNLV ’14 / Baltimore, Md.
- Allonzo Trier; Montrose Christian ’15 / Seattle, Wash.
- Myles Turner; Texas ’14 / Bedford, Texas
- Justise Winslow; Duke ’14 / Houston, Texas
- Stephen Zimmerman; Bishop Gorman H.S. ’15 / Las Vegas, Nev.
USA Basketball will continue its training through June 19. The 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship takes place on from June 20-24 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Dec 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
Coaches donning festive holiday sweaters doesn’t happen all that often in college basketball.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
Brad Stevens left Butler in 2013, agreeing to a six-year deal with the Boston Celtics, but that will not stop his name being linked to one specific college job.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
The Buckeyes are 9-2, dropping both of their key non-conferences games against ranked opponents.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Harvard did not set the record for lowest field goal percentage or lowest first-half points, but the Crimson did tie an NCAA record on Sunday afternoon.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
The Orange and Wildcats have split a home-and-home series since the old Big East disbanded several years ago.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
The Louisville forward spoke about the incident that took place at the end of the first half against Western Kentucky following the game.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
The nation’s top recruit also dropped 37 points in a win for Montverde Academy (Florida)
Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Here’s a rundown of Sunday’s games.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
With pieces that fit together better than last season’s 17-15 squad, the Huskies are off to a 10-0 start.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
George Mason’s last win over a Division I opponent prior to Saturday came against another MAAC program, Manhattan, on November 29.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Jackson scored 22 points, with two coming on an emphatic dunk on Purdue freshman Isaac Haas.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
It’s already been a busy day in college hoops, with two buzzer-beaters and two ranked teams already going down.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
While Michigan State’s 4-for-21 night from three didn’t help matters, Texas Southern shot better than 53 percent from the field.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:18 PM EST
Burton was one of two sophomores to leave the Marquette program earlier this month.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EST
Kentucky completely embarrassed UCLA on Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
Mitchell Wilbekin could miss up to six games, and classmates Cornelius Hudson and Rondale Watson missed Saturday’s game for conduct detrimental to the team.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
Illinois has now won two straight in the series, thanks to Rice’s three-pointer as time expired.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
Not surprising, considering Gus Johnson is on the call.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
North Carolina had its most impressive showing of the season in a convincing win over Ohio State on Saturday in Chicago.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Josh Jackson put on a show last night. Here’s a mixtape of what he can do.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)