Jun 15, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
On Sunday morning, USA Basketball announced its 12-man roster for the U18 national team competing in the 2014 FIBA Americas Championship.
The roster includes a pair of Duke signees, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow. Both of them have experience with USA Basketball. Jones sparked his friendship with future teammate Jahlil Okafor through international play, and has won gold medals with the U16 and U17 teams. Winslow will be suiting up for the U18 team after winning gold with the U19 team in 2013. Arizona commit Stanley Johnson has also played for the national team for several years.
The team is coached by Florida head coach Billy Donovan. His coaching staff includes Providence’s Ed Cooley and Arizona’s Sean Miller
“I’m really excited about the team. As it is every year, it was a really hard selection process because only 12 guys can be on the team. We just tried not necessarily to take the 12 best players, we tried to take the guys that were going to make up the best team,” Donovan said in a statement.. “We had the chance to look at this group for almost a week and all of them worked very, very hard. It’s never easy when you’ve got to get down to 12 guys because for as hard as everybody has worked you almost want everybody to be on the team, but it doesn’t work like that so it’s always a challenge.”
Here is the full roster:
- Isaiah Briscoe; Roselle Catholic H.S. ’15 / Union, N.J.
- Jaylen Brown; Wheeler H.S. / Alpharetta, Ga.
- Jalen Brunson; Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. ’15 / Lincolnshire, Ill.
- Stanley Johnson; Arizona ’14 / Fullerton, Calif.
- Tyus Jones; Duke ’14 / Apple Valley, Minn.
- Luke Kennard; Franklin H.S. ’15 / Franklin, Ohio (Duke)
- Tyler Lydon; New Hampton School ’15 / Elizaville, N.Y.
- Dwayne Morgan; UNLV ’14 / Baltimore, Md.
- Allonzo Trier; Montrose Christian ’15 / Seattle, Wash.
- Myles Turner; Texas ’14 / Bedford, Texas
- Justise Winslow; Duke ’14 / Houston, Texas
- Stephen Zimmerman; Bishop Gorman H.S. ’15 / Las Vegas, Nev.
USA Basketball will continue its training through June 19. The 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship takes place on from June 20-24 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Michigan was dominated on the glass, but the freshman forward stepped up to ice the victory.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Can a team that runs a pressing system truly be one of the nations elite?
Late Night Snacks: San Diego State and BYU engage in double OT thriller; Nova, Zona earn big wins; Indiana upset at home
Nov 25, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
A busy night of tournament and non-conference action in college hoops made for some big wins for Villanova and Arizona and a home loss for Indiana.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
We knew Iowa State had a lot of offensive weapons, but with the return of some key rotation players the Cyclones look really tough.
No. 6 Louisville jumps out to 29-0 lead, holds Savannah State scoreless for nearly 16 minutes in easy win
Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Louisville’s defense took it up a notch against Savannah State.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Tennessee is losing an assistant coach as a NCAA investigation into head coach Donnie Tyndall’s time at Southern Mississippi continues.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
No. 3 Arizona held off Missouri the whole game and cruised to a double-digit win in Maui.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
After spending some time in the hospital battling pneumonia, legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian is leaving the hospital.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)