Jun 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Anthony Hickey will be immediately eligible to play at Oklahoma State this season.
“Anthony brings us great experience and a lot of versatility at the guard position,” Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford said in a statement. “He’s someone who has competed and played at the highest level in the SEC (Southeastern Conference). He could be a game-changer defensively with his quickness, and is one of the top steal guys in the country, so we really expect him to enhance our defense. He will bring great energy on the court, and is a fierce competitor.”
Hickey spent the past three seasons at LSU as their starting point guard. He averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 assists as a junior last season, which was down from his numbers as a sophomore when he averaged 11.2 points, 3.4 assists and 2.9 steals.
Hickey’s addition will be important for an Oklahoma State team that lost a number of key pieces from last season. They return Phil Forte and Le’Bryan Nash, but with Marcus Smart and Markel Brown graduating and Stevie Clark’s dismissal, Ford is going to need some experienced playmaking in his back court. Hickey can provide that.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)