Jun 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Andy Kennedy dipped into the JuCo ranks to score his first commitment in Ole Miss’ Class of 2015.
Southwest Tennessee Community College guard Rasheed Brooks verbally pledged to the Rebels on Monday afternoon. Hugh Kellenberger of the Clarion-Ledger first reported the news.
Auburn was also recruiting Brooks. Ole Miss hired former Auburn assistant coach Tony Madlock to the same position in early May. Madlock has strong ties in Memphis, and had been recruiting Brooks for the Tigers, according to Kellenberger.
The 6-foot-6 Brooks averaged 12.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game. He shot nearly 43 percent from behind the arc in his first season with the Saluqis.
“He’ll be one of the top junior college prospects in the country for this upcoming year,” Southwest Tennessee Community College head coach Jerry Nichols told the Clarion-Ledger. “He’s a 6-foot-6 2-guard that can really stretch the defense.”
With Jarvis Summers and Ladarius White both out of eligibility after this upcoming season, and sophomore guard Derrick Millinghaus transferring out of the program in April, Brooks is a valuable addition to the Ole Miss perimeter for the 2015-2016 season.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)