Jun 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
College basketball’s 2014-2015 non-conference schedule is shaping up to be an incredible slate of competitive, early-season games. One of those being Duke taking on UConn, which was announced in late April. On Monday, a date was set for a neutral floor contest.
UConn, the defending national champion, will take on Duke, which will likely be No. 2 in the preseason polls behind Kentucky, will meet on Dec. 18 for an 8 p.m. tip at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands.
This will be the 10th time these two programs have faced one another, all of them being played at neutral sites. Duke has won five of the matchups. However, the Huskies knocked off the Blue Devils, en route to two of their four national championships. UConn defeated Duke, 77-74 in the 1999 National Title game, and then topped the Blue Devils in the 2004 Final Four before capturing the title over Georgia Tech.
As previously noted, this December matchup makes each team’s out-of-conference schedule a bit tougher. UConn has games at Florida and against Texas while also participating in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Duke has appearances in the Champions Classic, Coaches vs. Cancer Classic and the annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge before heading into conference play.
These two teams last met in November 2009. Duke won 68-59 inside Madison Square Garden.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)