Jun 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Appalachian State first-year head coach Jim Fox received good news on Tuesday, as the NCAA granted a waiver to forward Tommy Spagnolo, giving him a sixth season of eligibility.
Nathan Ham of the Jefferson Post was the first to report this story.
“It is definitely great news,” Fox told Steve Behr of the Watauga Democrat. “I was no doubt excited for that. I’m thrilled for him because his case has taken so long that it put him in a tough position. It’s spring right now and he’s trying to figure out his future and what to do with the rest of his life. I’m thrilled that he got it and thankful to the NCAA.”
The Mountaineers finished in third from the bottom in Southern Conference with a 9-21 (5-11 SoCon) record. Jason Chapel was fired after the season and Fox, longtime Davidson assistant, was hired to replace him on April 8. Having Spagnolo back in the lineup gives Fox an experienced 6-foot-7 forward on the frontline.
Spagnolo started his collegiate career at Radford, sitting out his first year. He played the 2010-2011 season before transferring to Appalachian State, which forced him to sit out an addition year, due to NCAA transfer rules.
He averaged 8.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game, starting in 18 of 30 games, most of which came in SoCon play.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)