Jun 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Appalachian State first-year head coach Jim Fox received good news on Tuesday, as the NCAA granted a waiver to forward Tommy Spagnolo, giving him a sixth season of eligibility.
Nathan Ham of the Jefferson Post was the first to report this story.
“It is definitely great news,” Fox told Steve Behr of the Watauga Democrat. “I was no doubt excited for that. I’m thrilled for him because his case has taken so long that it put him in a tough position. It’s spring right now and he’s trying to figure out his future and what to do with the rest of his life. I’m thrilled that he got it and thankful to the NCAA.”
The Mountaineers finished in third from the bottom in Southern Conference with a 9-21 (5-11 SoCon) record. Jason Chapel was fired after the season and Fox, longtime Davidson assistant, was hired to replace him on April 8. Having Spagnolo back in the lineup gives Fox an experienced 6-foot-7 forward on the frontline.
Spagnolo started his collegiate career at Radford, sitting out his first year. He played the 2010-2011 season before transferring to Appalachian State, which forced him to sit out an addition year, due to NCAA transfer rules.
He averaged 8.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game, starting in 18 of 30 games, most of which came in SoCon play.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)