Jun 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Appalachian State first-year head coach Jim Fox received good news on Tuesday, as the NCAA granted a waiver to forward Tommy Spagnolo, giving him a sixth season of eligibility.
Nathan Ham of the Jefferson Post was the first to report this story.
“It is definitely great news,” Fox told Steve Behr of the Watauga Democrat. “I was no doubt excited for that. I’m thrilled for him because his case has taken so long that it put him in a tough position. It’s spring right now and he’s trying to figure out his future and what to do with the rest of his life. I’m thrilled that he got it and thankful to the NCAA.”
The Mountaineers finished in third from the bottom in Southern Conference with a 9-21 (5-11 SoCon) record. Jason Chapel was fired after the season and Fox, longtime Davidson assistant, was hired to replace him on April 8. Having Spagnolo back in the lineup gives Fox an experienced 6-foot-7 forward on the frontline.
Spagnolo started his collegiate career at Radford, sitting out his first year. He played the 2010-2011 season before transferring to Appalachian State, which forced him to sit out an addition year, due to NCAA transfer rules.
He averaged 8.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game, starting in 18 of 30 games, most of which came in SoCon play.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)