Jun 17, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Creighton received a verbal commitment from Justin Patton, a 6-foot-10 2015 center from Omaha North High (Nebraska). This was first reported by Nebraska High School Hoops on Tuesday evening, followed by multiple reports that confirmed the commitment.
“I really worked on my game since last summer,” Patton told Nebraska High School Hoops. “I am excited about the opportunity to play at Creighton. It gives me a chance to play in front of my family at the highest level. My goal is to play at the highest level I possibly can, and Creighton allows me to do that.”
In its first year as a member of the Big East, Creighton finished second in the conference standings. Despite making a third straight NCAA tournament, the Bluejays failed to get past the first weekend. Without National Player of the Year Doug McDermott, and three other starters, Creighton will likely take a step back this upcoming season.
Patton is technically the first commit in Creighton’s 2015 recruiting class. However, head coach Greg McDermott has been active this spring, putting pieces together for the 2015-2016 season. Point guard Mo Watson Jr. (Boston University) and power forward Cole Huff (Nevada) have both transferred into the program and will be eligible after sitting out next season, due to NCAA transfer rules.
As a junior, Patton averaged 11.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)